soil amendments

blackdoggaFebruary 18, 2009

I'm planning to start a garden in a shaded area (40x50) that has nothing but hard clay. Does anyone have suggestions for sources for topsoil and compost available in large amounts in the Carrollton area? Also, I've been told that gypsum helps break up hard soil. Does anyone have any experience with that?

/thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
detodd

There is a place on Hwy 5 between Roopville and Tyus that makes and sells compost. I will get the number for you in the morning on my way home.

dt

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 5:19PM
blackdogga

Thanks, dt. I really need a local source (and lots of compost.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 10:09PM
mad_gardener

Blackdogga,

I posted a similar question not long ago, and received some helpful responses! See the link below for the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil improvement for Georgia clay!

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 11:54PM
blackdogga

mad gardener -- thanks for the link. There were a lot of good ideas. What did you end up doing?
ns

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 4:10PM
woody_ga(7a GA)

Organic matter, and lots of it! Nature's Helper, compost, lots of mulch - use it all.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 7:09PM
mad_gardener

Blackdogga,

Since I posted my question about improving clay soil not too long ago I'm afraid that I haven't had much time to act. I'm currently considering the merit of gypsum but I'm slightly concerned about the potential for contaminating local water sources. I already have a compost bin, but I'm afraid that it's slow going on that end. I'm also thinking of starting to vermicompost, since that would hopefully be a little faster. Lastly, I going to try to control my "ooooh shiny" impulses" and put the money that I would normal sock into plants into adding amendments (i.e. compost) to the soil. Hopefully, within a few years I'll have greatly improved soil...

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 12:09AM
fncer(7b)

I know there are farms around Carrolton. I would suggest taking a Sunday drive and stop and ask a few places if they have old manure you can have/purchase. I purchased a load of old cow manure there last year but can't find the contact info. I think I paid $20.00.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 6:37AM
fncer(7b)

Black gold, composted cow manure, will load for buyer, high in nitrogen, great for gardens. Tee Ogletree Carrollton 770-617-9301

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 7:04AM
esh_ga

Visit the Soil, compost and mulch forum on Garden Web - they are a lively group! You could search on "gypsum" for any previous discussion about the benefit of that. There is one thread just devoted to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil forum

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 8:56AM
detodd

The phone number is 770-834-4472.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 12:05PM
blackdogga

Thanks for the help, everyone. I really appreciate it.
NS

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 5:38PM
aqrose(7b NE GA)

You can also look at the online ads in the Farmers & Consumers Market Bulletin from the Georgia Dept of Ag. Here's the link to the "Fertilizers & Mulches" section. There is another section specifically for poultry compost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizers & Mulches

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 7:43PM
joemoedee

Also you may want to check with Carroll County to see if they offer any free mulch or compost. I was pleased to find out that Newton County offers both for free to county residents, possibly they will do the same. (Now I just need to get the truck out there and have them load it up 2 or 3 times)

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 1:55PM
bagsmom(7)

madgardener -- "oooohhh shiny!" So funny! You are my first laugh of the day! I think all of us garden people have that problem!!!!! :)

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
Camellia sinensis
"Camellia Sinensis" Tolerates more sun than...
girlgroupgirl
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
Howdy Folks!
Any of the old regulars still around? I have been...
vroomp
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™