Best small boxwood for in front of porch

organic_gardenhag(7)February 5, 2013

My front porch is 3' off the ground on one end 3 1/2'-4' on the other. Has to be something to hide the ugly. Would rather plant then use anykind of wood screen. I am thinking winter gem or winter green, any experience with either used like this? All the information is conflicting. I HATE sheering anything, and winter gem seems to be the best, afternoon shade, slow growing to 5' max. The builder planted Ligustrum, finally got my husband to take them out. He extracted the with a strap tied to a small loader bucket. So glad, but he would not throw them away, so planted them wher I don't have to deal with them, or barely look at them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_licuala(10a)

I wouldn't bother with the Boxwoods. They tend to die back and will be unsightly in the front.

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 7:04PM
organic_gardenhag(7)

Sorry I am in zone 7. I finally just got them. They will still be better than the horrible ligustrum. I just wanted a nice bright green, something, soft, evergreen, slow growing to fit the space. What else is there, they are not planted yet?

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 11:46AM
esh_ga

Dwarf yaupon holly is a standard small evergreen shrub for foundation use. Usually available at Home Depot and Lowes almost year round.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 3:25PM
jeff_al

i agree with esh_ga, i am removing azaleas from the foundation area of my house and am going to plant dwarf yaupons. they are not the bright, shiny green of boxwoods but are a good, dark green. they also do not bronze during winter like the boxwoods do. that awful orange winter color can look terrible in combination with some house paint colors!
these same shrub types are planted around my office building foundation and look good yearround. even the ones on the north side are not stunted or sparse from lack of winter sun.

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™