Gardenia Veitchii - Black Spots - Help!

alfieMay 29, 2007

I was given the gift (?) of this plant a week ago. I kept it in the morning sun at my office for a week and it did fine. I brought it home Friday and noticed many black spots on the leaves. I pinched them all of, repotted it from the cheap plastic thing it came in to a more elegant pot where it has its very own place in the morning sun, away from drafts. I came home from work today and found more black spots on the leaves, and one of the three buds fell off. I just read that flouridated water can cause black spots...is this true? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Alfie, do the black spots move or embedded in leaves?
Make sure not to overwater, or leave pot sitting in water..All you'll find yourself with is a root-rotted plant.
Drafts will NOT harm a Gardenia. In fact, they do great in cooler temps.
I realize plants look great in ornamental pots, but for some reason, and this is just my opinion, plants do best in the ugly plastic pots they come in..LOL
In most cases, when someone wants to plant in a decorative pot, it's best to slip the original growing pot inside the decorative one..If the outside pot doesn't have drainage holes, place something like styrofoam sheets on the bottom so inner pot doesn't sit in water. After a while the water stinks, turns yellow.
It's possible your plant has a fungus, but w/o seeing pic it's hard to tell.
Did you notice the black spots while at your office? Toni

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 4:02PM
mersiepoo(6)

I HOPE that you don't have a plant virus. A few years ago, I had about 30 plants that I had grown from seed (got from the plant exchange here, actually). It was great, I had some papaya plants, a bunch of guavas, aloe, dragon fruit and even some tiny finger lime seedlings. Long story short, I went to a wedding shower, the party favors that were given were plants and I got a small coffee plant. I put it in the bathroom and months later noticed black spots on the leaves. I figured it was nothing. Months later I noticed similar spots on all my other plants. Then I had seedlings of artichokes that I noticed had them. I sent some of the artichoke seedlings with spots to the Agricultural extension in my state, they sent me a report saying it's some plant virus. Problem with that is, there is NO way to cure them! It was terrible, I had to throw out ALL my plants! I was so sad about that one. So, I don't buy plants from Lowes (which is where the coffee plant was from), or any other places that sell plants en masse. I just hope that you don't have a virus, but you can send a specimen to the ag extension. They don't charge, you just pay for postage. Good luck, hope it's something trivial.

Bookmark   June 2, 2007 at 6:13PM
jbcarr(7 VA)

They also get white flies real easy. They can cause damage which later shows up as black soot from the mold that grows secondarily. The easy way to tell is to brush at the plants. You'll see the white flies come off the bush. The treatment is with insecticidal soap, and some horticultural oil applied a few times over 2 weeks.

Bookmark   June 4, 2007 at 7:15PM
aniela

Hello,

My Gardenia is sick, I'm not sure what it has. I got it about two weeks ago. It makes some spots on her leaves, which first are pale green and then turn brown and get bigger. I cut the infectet leaves but other spots apperar. Today I saw in insect on it..which seemd to de trips. I killed it but might be more. Many leaves also have littled dark spots on their back that appear to be trips excrements. I'm afraid it might also have a virus. Do you know, the spots I mentioned at the begining are caused by trips or also by the virus transported by trips? I don't know if here is any posibility to send leaves anywhere for examination... I'm afraid i'll never see it blooming..
Thanks

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 11:33AM
eric03

i just bought a gardenia and am keeping it inside. i am in maryland. it appears tohave buds and i want to know if it will bloom??/

Bookmark   January 16, 2008 at 8:58PM
mersiepoo(6)

Eric, your gardenia will bloom if you treat it like dirt, ignore it and then swear at it incessantly while saying you hope it dies. Then it'll bloom for you for years. :D

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 10:08PM
rosakraze_earthlink_net

My Gardenia is still in pot. Not sure if I am overwatering some leaves are turning yellow?

Bookmark   May 1, 2011 at 10:18PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Yellowing leaves can be from just about anything, usually water related.

Only you will be the best judge of that.

Mike

Bookmark   May 9, 2011 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
What is finally being evicted this year?
Anyone finally lose patience or be so disappointed...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Just recieved my michelia alba!
Today I received my michelia alba that I bought from...
Andrew Scott
Pruning Jasmium sambac
A couple of years ago, I got a cutting of a Jasminum...
true_blue
Jasminum Molle
I have seen Jasminum Molle on ebay( seller birdcare10)....
bunti
Lonicerasyringantha
This will be this deciduous honeysuckle shrub's 3rd...
hemnancy
Sponsored Products
Red & Orange Gardenia Wool Rug
$49.99 | zulily
Plexiglass Circular Towel Ring
TheBathOutlet
Gardenia Blue Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$472.00 | Bellacor
Wall Mounted Frosted Glass Tumbler and Toothbrush Holder
TheBathOutlet
Gardenia Aqua Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$472.00 | Bellacor
The Pillow Collection Gardenia Floral Pillow - Gold / Red - P18-83119-GOLDRED-P1
$71.99 | Hayneedle
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Loloi Rugs Rugs Gardenia Lifestyle Collection
$69.97 | Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Gardenia Purple/Charcoal 5 ft. x 7
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™