Daphne Odora sick

suetj35May 19, 2008

I've got a Daphne Odora that has been growing lustily in its raised bed in Seattle for 10 years. It started as a one-gallon pot, and is now about 6'x8' and 3' high. in the past week I've noticed severe browning of leaves, mostly older leaves, but now new growth is starting to get it. The center of the leaf first develops a circular yellowish spot, which then turns brown and spreads until the entire leaf, except the margins has become a dull brown. The brown leaves are scattered all over the plant, and it's getting worse. Any suggestions on saving this venerable and loved plant will be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimshy

I suspect either fungus or virus at the roots, which Daphnes are susceptible. You could try a systemic fungicide like Rootshield, and go easy on the watering.

Darrell Trout has an article about growing Daphnes online, do a search for it and you'll get more details; don't give up hope yet!

Good luck,

Jim

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 5:50PM
sandrafigone_comcast_net

My Daphne has been going great guns and all of a sudden the leaves are curling and dying (some not all) help!

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 6:37PM
jimshy

Hmm, I'm not a Daphne doctor (though I play one on TV), but give us more details, please!

In a pot or the ground? Sun? Watering? Change of temps?
I've only grown D. odora for two years, but so far the trick seems to be good drainage, neither over or underwatering, and avoiding too much sun.

Jim

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 4:30PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

My twelve year old Daphne odora always sheds a bunch of leaves in a nasty looking yellow way right after it blooms.

Bookmark   May 28, 2011 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™