Mushroom Compost

dclegg_gwApril 25, 2011

I live in The Villages (30 Miles South of Ocala). Where would I find mushroom compost? My garden really needs help. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amberroses(10a)

My local Lowes sells it so yours probably does too.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 7:42PM
gardencpa

Check around your area for the places that sell mulch in bulk. They usually have mushroom compost too.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 8:19PM
joycrick(zone9 FLA)

Monterey Mushroom in Apopka offers bulk mushroom compost for sale at bargain prices. You can now only purchase it on Tuesday, Thursday and Sundays from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. The price is still $5 for a pickup truck or trailer load. The gal also recommended calling first to make sure they have some.

Monterey Mushrooms Inc. security gate # is 407-905-4000 ext. 4022

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 12:41PM
pizza_johnny_yahoo_com

Why mushroom compost in your garden is a bad idea. Local compost is made from straw, cotton seed hulls, poultry and gypsum. The addition of lime, urea and heat accelerates the composting process.

Mushroom compost nutrient levels are not high enough to grow a good crop of plants (N=0.7% , P= 0.3% , K= 0.3% ). By comparison most manure in bags have N=1%, P=1%, K=1% (which is 3 times more nutrients than mushroom compost).

Mushroom compost has high PH value which is not a good amendment for North Florida soils.

Furthermore, to control insects (on the manure), the following chemicals are alternatively sprayed: methoprene, Dimlin, cyromazine, diflubenzuron and Diazanon.

To minimize mushroom crop infections benomyl, thiabendazole and chlorothalonil are applied.

Notwithstanding the poor nutrient levels, do you really want toxic chemicals in your garden?

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 12:00PM
howard_morgan_bellsouth_net

what kind of compose would you recommend for a new starting vegetable garden in Deltona Fl.
My neighbour used mushroom compose and they were pleased with the results.
Would you recommend using same?

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 9:27PM
new2gardenfl(Z9 CentralFL)

I've used mushroom compost from Monterey Mushroom farms many, many times. The only reason I no longer get it is because I no longer have a truck. That said, compost is not fertilzer, it is a soil conditioner. You will still need to fertilze. It is best to get a soil sample done after adding the compost to see if you need to further ammend it.

Bookmark   August 4, 2011 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
For the past 3 years my sapodilla tree has had an ever...
billbrandi
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
Mimosa ~ silk tree
I posted a photo on my blog not knowing what this little...
flowerladylorraine
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™