evergreen fern or shade plant recommendations?

jvanFebruary 23, 2009

i have a shaded space near my backdeck that i'd like to put some greenery in... i plant some of those low spreading bamboo, but it has not taken so i'd like to plant some ferns. what does everyone like prefer? i have autumn ferns in my yard which are nice and i've heard crested ladies do well in GA.

may thow some pereennial flowering plants in there as well, what does well around here? was thinking, Aster or Columbine. think hydrangea is a little to big.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Native evergreen ferns include Christmas Fern and Ebony Spleenwort. Another non-native evergreen fern (like Autumn) is East Indian Holly Fern.

Asters like sun for the most part (there is a white woods aster that can take some shade, but I don't know where you'd buy it). How about variegated Solomon's Seal for that area? Of course Hostas are a shady standby also, as well as Cast Iron plant. Epimediums are also very popular these days for shade.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 4:50PM
wyndi

Hellebores are nice with ferns, and mine did really well in the drought. Pretty flowers, too!

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 11:05PM
nikkineel(GA 8/7b)

Japanese Holly Fern are also evergreen. I posted a similar question in the cottage garden forum. The title of the thread was "Shade Lovers". I got lots of great feedback. Nik

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 11:37PM
birdannelady(7-Georgia)

Fatsia and variegated Cast Iron Plants do well in shade and have pretty leaves that would add variety to the area. You could put some ferns in the front of these as a smaller edging.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
have: have: composted horse manure
I have composted horse manure on my farm, looking to...
horsecompost
online peonies
Just ordered some peonies from a California nursery...
raptor1
Pomegranate tree
Will a pomegranate tree grow amd produce fruit in GA?...
natalie4b
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™