Cestrums in What Size Containers

susanlynne48(OKC7a)May 5, 2010

I have two Cestrums, nocturnum and 'Bacchus'. I want to grow them in containers so I can bring them in over winter. They were tiny plants when I got them, but now the roots have filled the 1 gallon containers I potted them up into.

I know that in warmers zones, they can get quite large, especially in the ground. So, I am wondering what size container I should use for them in my more temperate climate. I have some 5 gallon containers. Are they big enuff. I also have a 20 gallon container.

I appreciate any help you can give me. The 'Bacchus' already has a bloom on it.

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Bump, due to lack of response on this forum.

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 9:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jason83(Zone 8b/9a (North Florida))

Since you are in zone 7a, I would recommend pruning 50% of the plant and potting it into a 3-5 gallon container, if it's at least 2.5-3 feet tall and then bring it indoors when temperatures start to drop below 60ish. That will promote side shoots and bushiness to keep it a manageable size indoors.

Then what you can do is take the parts of the plant that you cut off and stick them into smaller pots of soil and they will root like mad. When I prune my Cestrum's I always take the stems and pot them - they all root! I would wager some rooting hormone would make the success rate practically 100%! Just keep the soil and the cuttings moist. :)

That is of course if you have the space for them. Outdoors here they tend to grow somewhat lopsided... some stalks will be tall while others short. They practically die back to the ground in winter here in N. FL with no protection and suffer no damage at all when protected, so they are more like a perennial here in warm temperate zones.

You might even try planting some of your pruned cuttings outdoors and protecting them with mulch, straw, plastic and blankets and they just might spring back up for you in 7a. :)

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
What is finally being evicted this year?
Anyone finally lose patience or be so disappointed...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
Pruning Jasmium sambac
A couple of years ago, I got a cutting of a Jasminum...
true_blue
How large does Epiphyllum oxypetalum need to be to bloom?
So last night on a whim I decided to check out the...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
What michelia is this?
I was at a nursery and saw this michelia with some...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™