Fragrant plant for full sun in Sacramento?

karen_b_z9(z9, SAC, CA)May 7, 2005

I live in the Sacramento area. I am looking for a small frangrant bush, 3-6 ft for a foundation planting on my house that is facing southeast. It gets many hours of hot afternoon sun and walkway to house entrance goes right by it. Of course, would like a plant that wafts and will provide fragrance for as many months as possible. Thought of some of the everblooming gardenias but am afraid hot summer sun wil be too much. July Aug & Sept most days in middle or high 90s and heat waves go to the 100s. Any ideas??

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
risingpower1(Essex, UK)

How about some sort of cytisus, they don't mind heat/dryness that much, nor does osmanthus fragrans.

Bookmark   May 8, 2005 at 6:12AM
jimshy

Check out San Marcos growers; they have a web site full of info about plants that will do well in California climates.

Also, Kartuz greenhouses (www.kartuz.com) is a great source for fragrant plants suitable for your climate.

Specifically, consider oleanders, brunfelsias, jasmines, passionflowers, murreya paniculata, osmanthus, and cytisus/genista, like RisingPower suggested.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Marcos growers

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 11:02AM
daxin(z9 Bay Area)

Cytisus is perfect for your situation except that it is extremely invasive in California. Why nurseries are still offering them here is beyond me. Osmanthus fragrans will get serious sunburn especially in the seedling stage. You can try mediterranean plants with scented foliage such as lavenders and rosemaries. You can also try roses if you do not mind the work. However, if you would like to try some other exotics such as michelia and boronia, you have to mitigate the afternoon sun situation in some way such as shading or misting. Most of the fragrant plants like it hot but not dry. Hot and humid evenings are the best times for most fragrant plants to show their worth.

Bookmark   May 9, 2005 at 2:23PM
acp123(14 (Sunset))

I'd consider:

Pittosporum (several)
Lavender
Roses (Chrysler Imperial, etc.)
Viburnum (several)

You might also stick with the more standard sun/heat-loving foundation shrubs and bring fragrance in with a vine (jasmine, etc.)

Also, some daylilies are fragrant. They combine nicely with agapanthus to liven up a sunny foundation. Rosemary's another option, though it's the leaves that are fragrant. That might be a great spot for a culinary herb garden with roses and lavender mixed in!

Angela

Bookmark   July 17, 2005 at 4:27PM
jxbrown(z10/24 SD, CA)

Star jasmine will grow anywhere.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 11:22AM
calory(8)

My Gardenias in full sun in Dallas TX area do just fine--our temps are high 90's and sometimes 100+.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Pruning Honeysuckle??
I have a wonderful fence full of honeysuckle. It is...
womanhead
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™