Things that make you go "Hummm"

frogview00December 10, 2013

It has been years since I posted here on this forum, but I come to look and admire the photos of the passions of the people and view the gardens through others eyes and minds.
As I no longer live where I had my cottage garden, I return to my photos of what I accomplished and created in my own minds eye.
I digress......

On a recent trip to the UK, I was introduced to the concept of a "painters garden" as in an artist garden. I wonder how this would be different from I call a "cottage garden".

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
louisianagal(z7bMS)

Yeah I been gone awhile too, just checking in from the winter doldrums. My cottage garden is not always planned and in accord with color theory, but I was reading last nite more about Gertrude Jekyll and she planned her gardens with a painter's eye, and with great attention to color theory, shade, hue, etc. I could never pull that off, but it's so beautiful!

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 10:54PM
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)

Frogview - I remember you and your garden. I have also read about many a garden created with a 'painterly' eye. I think it is very much the way a cottage gardener creates. In fact, in creating new beds, I often think of myself as 'painting' with seeds, especially with the annuals that begin my process. Cottage Garden is a way of thinking, as well as a way of gardening. Or both are the same. Or something like that!!

Nancy.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 12:04AM
frogview00

Hi, Nancy.
I first heard the term in regards to Duncan Grant and Vanessa bell, who were the painters (some of) of the Bloomsbury Group, early 1900's England.The house they lived in is called Charleston House and there is a website with photos of the garden. It was restored and not very "cottagey" in the term I use as cottage garden. But I'm sure it could change year to year to the artists needs.

Thanks for remembering me! I go back to 1999 here on GW. Never been a real gabber though. I do enjoy the photos and visions of the creative gardener.

Jim

Maybe I'll post an old photo or two.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Jane's work in progress
Jane emailed me a picture of the project she's still...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Boxwood not looking good
It's blowing snow and cold here today and the boxwood...
schoolhouse_gw
Garden critters
Here are some of the local fauna who stopped by the...
loisthegardener_nc7b
" Daffs eaten "
Hi, For quite awhile. I couldn't get on. Now this...
hollyhocker_123
Gardenweb and the Houzz Team.
I know Gardenweb is now part of the Houzz Team,..however...
nulty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™