Scented Geranium 'scent' ID question

efd123(6-7)January 13, 2011

Hello all,

I bought a scented geranium a year or so ago as a "citronella". My question is, all I can think of when I smell it is rose! Just wondering if anyone ever exerienced this with a citronella or if I just happened to buy a mis-named plant. Also I've read that citronella is one of the only scented geraniums not recomended to cook with/ make products with, but this smells so rosey to me I am so tempted to make something with it. Thanks in andvance for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Pelargonium citronellum should have a distinctly citrus-y fragrance. The sense of scent is very subjective, so it may just be your nose rather than an issue with mislabeling :-)) But it could just as likely be a rose geranium as well.......Pelargonium graveolens looks quite similar both in leaf and flower to citronella and has a range of scents, including a lemony one. I'm no expert but I think they could be rather easily confused.

Both can be used for culinary flavoring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pelargonium citronellum

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 10:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
efd123(6-7)

Thank you gardengal for your response! Now I am late in replying but I do appreciate it :) I definately believe that it is all in what im feeling when i smell it, it certainly does have a lemony scent, then it seems to have a lingering rose scent so its probably just my nose. I cant believe the similarities in the two plants! I have just been browsing online and they seem almost interchangable. again thanks for your reply!

Here is a link that might be useful: a photo i found, they look so similar :)

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Hardy Geranium help..
I am new to gardening in z8b Texas. I had a question...
pinkkpearls
Scented Geranium with Cactus Mix?
So I've seen a few places recommending adding sand...
garden.bum
pruning geraniums
I have several geraniums that went without water for...
rad1
Citaniila geraniums
im in need of some happy colored geraniums.. id like...
sewnmom7
Overwintering a long deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™