Seeds - Geranium Orange Appeal Hybrid

luv_2_gardnJanuary 4, 2010

Hi All,

I'm starting my seeds under HPS light, and this is my first year with geraniums -- well, I have started perennial species geraniums with great success... but, I have not started annuals. The package states that this seed will flower 94 days from sowing. I plan to use the geraniums in planters so I need them to flower in May. Has anyone started their seeds inside and brought them to flower? Do you have any tips or advice? Thanks in advance.

luv_2_gardn

Here is a link that might be useful: Pelargonium x hortorum Orange Appeal Hybrid

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

I start geraniums from seed every year. Actually they are very easy to germinate, it's just that they require some time to sprout and grow. Most years I get close 100% germination if not the full 100%. I like the maverik series because they are a little earlier, but I have grown Orange Appeal.

I start them in mid February and they usually bloom the end of May--first part of June. I do cuttings too so it doesn't matter to me if they are just in bud or starting to bud when I set them out.

I start my seed on a heated grow mat and put them in a tray with a humidity cover, on my south facing window sill. I offset the cover a bit in the day so there is a bit of air circulation and put it back at night. I transplant them into the pots they will stay in until setting out, in Mid April and transfer them to my greenhouse. I'm in zone 3 so my greenhouse doesn't get operational until mid April.

If I had to say one thing about growing geraniums from seed I'd say watch the water. Zonal geraniums don't like wet feet. I do a lot of misting before they germinate and when they are small. I use damp off when I first wet the soil and in the mister. I find they are better started in a small flat with just a couple of inches of soil and then transplanted into pots when they are bigger.

If I can grow them with success with my method you can certainly grow them with your setup.

Bookmark   January 7, 2010 at 8:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luv_2_gardn

Hi Oilpainter,

thank you so much for the tips and such a great post. I'm really looking forward to trying this and with your help I think I can do it.

Take care,
Luv_to_gardn

Bookmark   January 7, 2010 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Overwintering geraniums.
Hi folks I would like some advice. I have a raised...
averil
Scented Geranium with Cactus Mix?
So I've seen a few places recommending adding sand...
garden.bum
Parks Maverick Mix Seeds - Good for starting from seed?
I have never grown geraniums from seed. My first choice...
pagenie1
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
seeds from china fake or real?
I have been growing geranium from seeds for some time...
gonene1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™