What kind of geranium is this?

mjc_molie(z6 CT)January 26, 2014

Hi all,
My daughter lives in Saint-Denis, France, north of Paris. She's planted several window boxes this month but doesn't know what kind of geraniums she has. The one on the right is blooming and looks similar to the ones I grow here in CT. The one on the left has never bloomed, though it looks pretty healthy in this photo.

Does anyone recognize these varieties? I'd like to send her information on their care.

Thanks!
Molie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowlinggram

The leaf looks much like Martha Washington Geranium. A beautiful flower but not as hardy as regular zonal geraniums. It is also not a perennial like the zonals. It does not tolerate hot conditions well and may stop flowering if the weather is too hot

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 1:57AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

'Martha Washington' is not a single cultivar but the name for a type of Pelargonium. In the UK they are called Regal Pelargoniums. The flowers vary in colour.

Although possibly less hardy than zonal pelargoniums, they ARE perennial in the right climate. Your daughter has planted hers out a bit early but they may well survive given the very mild winter we've had so far this year. I still have zonal pelargoniums and fuchsias flowering in my garden as it's been so mild.

BTW I can't see any flowers on the right hand pelargonium. Are you possibly seeing the pink flowers on the Primula planted next to it? Also the one on the right looks a bit shiny. Is it definitely the same as the one on the left? Is it perhaps an Ivy Leafed Pelargonium?

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 7:43AM
mjc_molie(z6 CT)

Thank you, dowlinggram and floral_uk! I'll send your responses off to my daughter.

Floral, the pelargonium on the right is, I believe, a leftover from last year. It flowers with white/pink blossoms. I'm sure it's an Ivy Leafed pelargonium/geranium, which is often seen spilling down from window boxes in France. They've very easily found in flower markets.

However --- in looking more closely at the photos, I realized that my daughter has those geraniums planted at a NORTH facing window. They're probably not getting enough sunlight and should moved to the west windows.

I wonder if fuchsias, primroses, or cyclamen wouldn't do better at that north-facing window, which is in my grandchildren's bedroom. The colors might be more cheerful for the children.

Opinions or suggestions?

Molie

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 12:22PM
More Discussions
What is the name of this flower?
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the...
Shaz79
Seed Geranium or Cutting for baskets
After growing several vegetables from seed I'm going...
obrionusa
my geranium fell from a ceiling hook
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my geranium. A...
msunn1973
Zonal Geranium: What is the cultivar name?
Bought this at Home Depot last year and it's only label...
frugal_gardening
Geranium seedling fertilizer
I have been growing geraniums from seed for many years,...
karenbrockman
Sponsored Products
Kerala Kilim Throw Pillow
Grandin Road
Cherry Red Can Shape Storage Canisters with Chalkboards
Classic Hostess
Encased Gems Six-Light Lantern in Silver Leaf Finish with Multi-Colored Crystal
Bellacor
Florence Style Loft Right-Arm Leather Sectional Sofa in White
$1,499.00 | LexMod
Pipeline Asymmetrical Shelf
$89.99 | Dot & Bo