bleeding heart question

natives_and_veggies(10b)April 28, 2012

I have a bleeding heart vine that was here when we bought the house. It's the white with red one. And it's happy and blooming now, in the shade. It's one of the few vines in my yard that is not aggressive.

So I took a cutting and rooted it in water. I'm thinking about putting it on a fence that is also partially shaded, but also gets some sun and gets reflected heat off of his guest house. This is an area that a previous neighbor let go to hell. We were constantly fighting all kinds of weedy vines there. Now that the new neighbor has cleaned up his side, I need to clean up my side and plant something pretty there.

What does bleeding heart like? Will it do well in sun? Will it do too well? I don't want to plant something that will go crazy.

And BTW, it rooted in water in a week.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ritaweeda

Maybe the white one is different, but I have the dark red one (actually maroon) and it is invasive to the nth degree. But anyway, it doesn't mind some shade. I've had it on the north side of the house and it only gets morning sun, does great with that. It runs roots all over the place, sometimes 10 feet out and puts up news plants which I DON'T WANT. The good side to the plant is it is beautiful when blooming and it attracts hummingbirds.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 4:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katkin_gw

I have the white and red one and it gets a little morning sun then bright light the rest of the day. It get water 2 x's a week. It died back from the cold winters we had, but has come back from the roots. It usually looses most of the leaves in the winter then leafs out again in the spring. Hope that helps. :o)

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 7:30PM
More Discussions
So, what can you tell me about Dlonix regia?
Heh, another miserably cold day here, it's really getting...
wisconsitom
wanted: perlite & peat moss wholesaler in miami, fl
Hi, I'm thrilled to come across this site. So many...
PowPowPow
What's a Native?
I've been watching Gardening Australia lately and it...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Another coffee question
My friend gave me a box full of expired Duncan Donuts...
Debo214
Sponsored Products
Cinnamon Ridge Bleeding Paint Round Ceramic Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Wood Molding & Trim: Zamma Building Materials Strand Woven Bamboo French Bleed
$39.98 | Home Depot
Bamboo Flooring: Home Decorators Collection Flooring Strand Woven French Bleed
$2.98 | Home Depot
Bonaparte Bronze Vase Style Ceramic Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Marigold Hibiscus Towel
$19.99 | zulily