Need help with seedlings.

fly2cast(Zone 4 ND)January 25, 2007

I planted some geranium seed about 5 days ago. According to what I have read, it takes 10-20 days until germination. I had them on top of the fridge and didn't check them until today only to find out that they were already up and about 1.5 inches long. They haven't gotten any light so they are long and thin. Is there anything I should do or will they be okay since they haven't been up too long?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
busylizzy(z5 PA)

Do you have lights to put them under now? Transplant and get the lights as close as possible. My lights on the geraniums are about 1 inch from them.

Bookmark   February 3, 2007 at 8:59AM
fly2cast(Zone 4 ND)

Yes, I put them under a light as soon as I saw them come up. It's been about a week now and they have colored up and started getting their true leaves. Should I still try to transplant them and bury them deeper so that they aren't so long or will the stem get some strength if I leave them alone?

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 12:05PM
busylizzy(z5 PA)

Yes, you can go ahead and transplant them a bit deeper I do that sometimes when I forget about the seeldings too, with no problems. I use a weak strength of fish emulsion to water them with after that. Sowed seed 1/27/07 and have 3 true leaves so far.

Bookmark   February 11, 2007 at 7:14PM
fly2cast(Zone 4 ND)

OK, thanks for your help. I did transplant them to a different container last night. So far I have about 18 ivy leaf geraniums comming up. Six of them didn't germinate for some reason.

Bookmark   February 12, 2007 at 3:46PM
dahlitsa

like fly2cast, I too have some geraniums started. I'm a newbie and wonder what are the true leaves. Are the first two that appear not true ones? Should they be removed? Mine now have two new leaves which are more wavy,(not as smooth around the edge as the first two that appeared) like a geranium leaf. They are about 3" high and are looking quite good.

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 2:21PM
cazzyrabbit

Hi Dahlitsa
Hi the first two leaves are the cotyledans, they are not true leaves. The next set of leaves are the true leaves. They should have a serrated type edge.
cheers
caroline

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Seed Geranium or Cutting for baskets
After growing several vegetables from seed I'm going...
obrionusa
want to trade pelagornium seeds/cuttings
Would like to trade seeds (horea and Otidia and various...
asclepchris
Help...my geranium looks pitiful!
Can somebody tell me what I need to do to revive my...
plant_lover_grow
Scented Geranium with Cactus Mix?
So I've seen a few places recommending adding sand...
garden.bum
Zonal geranium cuttings
I've been gardening for many years. Every fall I bring...
dowlinggram
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™