Daphne Carol Mackie wilting.

diane_nc(zone 7)June 27, 2005

I have three Daphnes that have grown well, side by side, for three years. Now, suddenly, one on the end has wilted, and seems to be dying. The leaves don't show any infestation, and the stems look as healthy as the bushes beside it. I hope someone has some suggestions for saving this plant. In desperation I wonder if I should cut it totally back? The leaves are starting to turn brown. I tried spraying a fungicide on it yesterday, but fear that all will be in vain. What can be the problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimshy

Daphnes have tricky root systems and can go under due to the roots rotting, or getting too dry, or getting rocked by winds, or no apparent reason at all (see Daphne Sudden Death Syndrome, or DSDS). If the roots are gone, so is the plant, and there's nothing you can do. Otherwise, leave it be, protect it from harsh sun and wind, and DON'T water it more in an attempt to revive it -- that'll just swamp the roots.

Hope it pulls through!

Jim

Bookmark   July 15, 2005 at 10:37AM
rosefolly

Daphnes are famous for committing daphnecide for no apparent reason. Wonderful plants, easy as can be, then all of a sudden, gone. I have two, so far so good. I adore them and would replace them if they suddenly died. Mine are daphne odorata, which I don't think is hardy in zone 7.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 7:54PM
rosefolly

Sorry, it is daphne odora. I got carried away....

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 7:57PM
AgastacheMan(z7 CA)

Most likely a vascular system problem with nutrient and water flow. Three things come to mind-climatic, artificially induced, and naturalistic invasions due to an organism. Climatic is easy to figure out, usually high stress due to high heat, wind, reflected light, water loss, and over-watering. Artificially meaning a homeowners neglect to provide water, nutrients, clean manicuring techniques, and damage to roots by over-excessive use of preemergents, fertilizers, herbicieds, and fumigants. Naturalistic invasions happen by either a insect ( root weevils, vine weevils, armyworm, grubs and so on), soil-borne bacterium, virus, disease, and molds that slow down the vascular system of the plant accelerated by the other two systematic problems I stated before. My advice, do not spray the plant, look around the root system, do not over-water but make sure the Daphne is easily watered around the whole drip-line of the plant, check out the outer bark for notching, and take a couple of cutting and examine the cambium layers of the cutting, to look for blocked water ways. Check for weevils at night, and grubs doing the day. If no insects appear, checking the root mass for problems whter its a soil problem, or if it is a bacterium/rot.

Bookmark   July 18, 2005 at 9:52PM
malmason(9, Houston TX)

When I sprayed my Daphne Odra with some kind of furtilizer (the kind to mix with water), her leaves all wilted and thought she is going to die. Except her canes are healthy and have many tiny leaves coming up. I am checking her daily to see how she will recover.

Bookmark   August 2, 2005 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Help with my star jasmine please!
I am really hoping for some advice for my Star jasmine,...
ourarka
Fragrant suggestions article
A friend sent me this article. I know we can fill the...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Just recieved my michelia alba!
Today I received my michelia alba that I bought from...
Andrew Scott
Blooming in March!
Osmanthus fragrans decided to show off a few blooms...
true_blue
When to prune Jasmine Sambac and GD Supreme plants
I had all my jasmines in my garage for winter protection...
fruits_veggies
Sponsored Products
Daphne Wall Sconce No. 20415 by Access Lighting
$44.00 | Lumens
Daphne Dual Bath Light
Signature Hardware
Hinkley Daphne 16" Wide Brushed Nickel Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
Daphne Brushed Bronze Three-Light Bath Light
$219.00 | Bellacor
Daphne Rug 2' x 3' - BEIGE/RED/YELL
$350.00 | Horchow