Sulfurous stink

mehitabel(z6 MO)June 8, 2011

When I'm misting or watering some pots, there's a chirping noise, not exactly a cricket noise, but like that. This is followed by a stink, like sulphur. Ugh.

There has to be some stinky bug hiding out in the pots. I'm not sure I want to see the nasty thing-- it'll probably squirt stink right in my face if I look. Anyone have an idea what it could be?

I'm going to drench the pots with soapy water, see if I can get rid of it the easy way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Yuk yuk yuk! Found the source-- dead cicadas piled up in some deck window boxes I use to hold small plants.

Very nasty, but better than stink bugs in the pots, I guess.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 11:23AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

My husband and I were talking about this last night...what the HECK does everyone up there do with all of the cicada corpses? The shed skins from the nymphs are one thing...not so much of a problem I wouldn't think, but those fat adults must really stink when they start to pile up. I guess that every animal and bird on the planet will come in to par-tay!

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 3:59PM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Hi, Rhizo. I can only imagine how bad it is out in the woods-- haven't gone out there. Too much crunching! But out there, I'm sure the corpses will be eaten up soon enough.

I just dumped them over the side of the deck, figuring the ants will surely come for them, and they'll be gone in a week.

The noise is all gone now, and fewer flying around every day.

Bookmark   June 11, 2011 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Randia ruiziana (Angel of the Night) flower bud?
I don't know but I sure hope so! I've been noticing...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Best scented ceanothus variety??
Hey guys, Any input is much appreciated. I never considered...
fenius
Murraya Paniculata (Orange Jessamine)
I love Murraya paniculata. The fragrance is so thick....
rafflesia
' daphne odora'. Are they hard to keep alive as many say?
If they are not for you, especially in my climate zone...
meyermike_1micha
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™