Pandanus odoratissimus

scentednectarJune 1, 2009

I have a small seed grown one. Originally I received a bunch of sprouted ones, but they over-lengthened and weakened in the mail, suffered transplant shock and died. The smallest sprout survived with no shock.

I'm hoping that the one survivor turns out to be a male. They flower year round and are very fragrant, said to be like a fruity rose. The flowers are used as a flavoring called kewra.

The leaves of both genders are fragrant and used to flavour rice or sweets, but I really hope it's a male for the fragrant flowers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daxin(z9 Bay Area)

Dried leaves are available from local Vietnamese supermarkets. I even saw seedlings for sale many years ago at a local orchid nursery. Back then I was not that interested in this plant, but after I went to visit Malaysia I got hooked on the scent of Pandan big time. Unfortunately that nursery stopped growing this plant. Fortunately I can still indulge in Pandan Coconut Ice Cream once in a while. It is very yummy and the scent just transport me back to the Asian tropics.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 12:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scentednectar

It's great that you've enjoyed both the flower scent and leaf flavour. I've not experienced either one. I might get some leaves from a Vietnamese store too, and experiment a bit in the kitchen. My baby plant will take a while before I can trim a leaf or two. And it may take years before I find out it's gender. Usually I'm not gender biased, but I really hope this one turns out male!

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
Can someone ID this for me please!
I saw it in a Youtube video, but I couldn't make out...
earlisbubba
Magnolia macclurei
Magnolia macclurei (Michelia macclurei) blooming images. Do...
jujujojo_gw
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™