Looking for Edgeworthia chrysantha, Red Dragon

frankielynnsie(7B)February 12, 2011

Does anyone know where I can find Edgeworthia chrysantha, Red Dragon in the Atlanta to northeast area of Georgia?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

A cursory search didn't even turn up any reputable on-line nurseries with that particular cultivar, at the moment.

Bookmark   February 21, 2011 at 10:54PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Try calling Gardenhood, they may need to call you back (and they are closed until next week) but someone there should be able to find it for you if it's available! (404) 880-9848

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 12:45AM
frankielynnsie(7B)

Thank you, I have looked online too but I don't want to spend a fortune for a stick. I will try Gardenhood.

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 7:38PM
wild_belief(7b)

If you end up finding and planting one of these, please keep us posted! I'd be interested to know how it works out for you. Years back, we tried a red-throated edgeworthia cultivar ('Jitsuko') a few times, with no luck whatsoever. It turned out to be one of those wonders you chase after with the highest hopes, only to be disappointed.

We tried cuttings, and then grafts on "very hardy" rootstock straight from Japan, and they all died. The single survivor was not fragrant, but was absolutely stunning while it lasted. Since the online marketing claims 'Red Dragon' is fragrant, and relatively hardy, I'm curious to know how it holds up!

Bookmark   March 4, 2011 at 4:03AM
Fishermade

I got mine from Pike Nursery in Roswell....I have seen them at Pike Nurseries in other locations...mine is growing in part sun to shade and is beautiful..slow growing, but you can smell it across the yard.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 9:26AM
japmapleman(7b)

Try straight line landscapes. Their website is straightlinelandscapes.com
They and a landscape company but get all kinds of really nice plants

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 4:53AM
frankielynnsie(7B)

Fishermade-did they have the Red Dragon or just the regular one? I had minor surgery today in Cumming and checked out the Pikes there and they did not carry that one. But I didn't go away empty handed. They had Daphne's and my Daphne died 2 yrs ago, it lived 15 years robustly and smelling wonderful, then just died dead one winter.

I'll try straight line landscapes.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 3:32PM
raptor1

I have both of the edgeworthias and My red Dragon is the fav. the two but the bloom on the red dragon like better than the yellow one But the fragrance on the yellow is about 8ft. and outstanding.RD seems top be slower
growth than the yellow Got the yellow one from Pikes and the dragon from Wayside Gardens at first they sent me a stick BUT when i called for a replacement they were very friendly and replaced with not problems I love them(edgeworthia) very much and beside the daphane odora Feb is full on a sweet fragrance But don'tget to close the fragrance is overwhelming

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
Gardening in Atlanta.
Anyone else have the itch to start early this year....
planterjeff
Native shade plant recommendations
I live just north of Atlanta and am looking for recommendations...
atrox
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
Shade Garden Ideas Help
I am renting a townhouse that has a 4X4 foot square...
jerseygarden123
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™