anyone have this Calycanthus Floridus "sweetshrub"

sunpetalJune 23, 2013

Anyone have this plant
Calycanthus floridus 'Athens'
(Athens Sweetshrub)

A dense, rounded deciduous shrub which grows up to 9' tall. Features very fragrant, yellow flowers (2" across) which bloom at the end of short branchlets in May. Flowers give way to brownish, urn-shaped fruits (seed capsules) which mature in the fall and persist throughout the winter. Lustrous, dark green leaves to 6" long which turn golden yellow in the fall. Good cut flower. Common names include Carolina allspice or sweetshrub or strawberry bush in reference to the fragrant blooms. The species of this cultivar is native to Eastern North America.

Easily grown in average, medium, well-drained soil in full sun to full shade. Grows somewhat taller in shade than in sun. Tolerant of a wide range of soils, but prefers a rich loam. Prune immediately after flowering. Excellent specimen near the front door, patio or other living areas where the fragrant scent may be enjoyed, or for the shrub border.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fragrant2008

Yes i have this plant Fragrance is excellent reminded me a bit of michelia figo your plant is way bigger than mine tho i only had 2 flowers on mine last year loved the scent :)

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 1:41PM
jeff_al

i have one but i find that the species plant that i grow is more fragrant than 'athens'. smells fruity like ripe apples and strawberries to me. the fragrance is more pronounced on warm, dry days.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 5:03PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Sun petal, I think I've seen Hartlage Wine (non-fragrant variety) at the Armstrong in Claremont. You would probably have to get them to special order the variety you want from Monrovia though. Also they may be able to get the fairy magnolia too. Just make sure their Monrovia reference is up to date.

Bookmark   June 24, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Meyermike, you still out there??
Hope you are doing good, I haven't been on the forum...
mersiepoo
Sourcing Chinese/Japanese Wisteria
Hi All, I could use some guidance from you experienced...
josiahallen
Gardenia suffering multiple ailement
Hi, I recently planted (less than 3 weeks ago) some...
sgreer13
How large does Epiphyllum oxypetalum need to be to bloom?
So last night on a whim I decided to check out the...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Blooming in May
The thread is open :-)
true_blue
Sponsored Products
New Geometric Art Rug Balouch Veg Dyed Hand Knotted Wool Navy Blue Runner Free P
BH Sun Inc
Colonial Mills Corsica Chair Pad - 15 x 15 in. - CC19A015X015R
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Candice Olson Oyster Gray 5' x 8'
Home Depot
My Sunshine Throw Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Oversized Streetcar Artwork - 68" x 40"
Grandin Road
Stufurhome 48" Yorktown Single Sink Vanity with Baltic Brown Granite Top - Dark
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for: