Must move large gardenia in June (help!)

irisia(7b)June 6, 2005

Greetings,

I have discovered a mature gardenia plant in an empty lot near my house that is soon to be mostly cleared and developed (some trees will be saved, but the rest goes). The construction is to begin soon, and so I wish to move this plant, despite it being June in Georgia. Fortunately, it has been unusually cool and rainy, so conditions are more welcoming than in the past. However, I know nothing about what is the best way to go about digging up a four foot high gardenia (how wide / deep of an area to dig, etc.). Any suggestions are very much welcomed!

Irisia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gatorheel1(9)

I have never attempted anything that large but I would guess about 2 ft. around the base and at least that deep.That should get most of the roots.Are you putting it back in the gorund or going into a large container?Good luck with it.

Bookmark   June 6, 2005 at 6:38PM
Dieter2NC(z7b NC)

Dig around the drip line (outermost edge of the leaves) preferably with a garden fork. Be prepared to water it well through the summer and give it some root stimulator. If you plant it in full sun, try to rig up some way to give it some shade in the hottest parts of the afternoon. You can also prune back about 1/3 of the plant to help you move it and to help prevent water loss thru the leaves.

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 2:34PM
irisia(7b)

Hello again,

I have transplanted the gardenia and will see how it goes. I dug around a wide area and have put it in a part sun but mostly shade place with excellent soil (lucky to have that in Georgia clay land!). Thanks for the advice...I will follow.

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 2:40PM
More Discussions
fragrant whites of the summer...
Hi all blooms this season... Thanks for seeing... Radha....
radhavall
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
Pruning Honeysuckle??
I have a wonderful fence full of honeysuckle. It is...
womanhead
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™