maybe someone can help

bobbejaantjieFebruary 6, 2007

is this a forum for geraniums or pelargoniums...although i can accept that they may be related they have such different requirements and look so diff that it's hard imagining them on the same forum.

here in south africa we have both beautiful geraniums and pelargoniums! i have about 2-3 wild species of pelargonium here on the farm(creeping ivy type and lemon scented) and collected one from the olifants rivier mountains(in the garden of the farmer, don't worry!). if there is a real expert here i would like to identify it. anyone? pls help ...many thanks dewald

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ann_norway(h2)

This is a forum for both Geranium and Pelargonium. In the English speaking countries the tradistion of mixing these two are just to difficult to work with that I think we just have to live with this.

The rest of us will just have to be as spesific as we can when speaking about one or the other.

I know something about both, but I need more information. Do you have pictures?

By the way, love your country! I have been there once, and saw the National Collection of Pelargoniums in Stellenborsh :) And of course, would love to come back again later.

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 8:52AM
pink_warm_mama_1(Z4 Maine)

ann_norway, are pelargoniums annuals or perennials? If they are annuals, should they not be on another forum? I am interested only in the perennial geraniums, but have seen many other listings here. Confusing.

Bookmark   April 13, 2007 at 11:42AM
ann_norway(h2)

Most pelargoniums are perennials. In South-Arica and countries with the same climate they live from year to year. There is one pelargonium that I know which can survive outside in climate more like North-America and Scandinavia, all others must be treated as annuals or have to live inside in the wintertime.

But I think the main reason why we find both cranesbills and pelargoniums here is that in English the word geranium mean both plants. I have tried to educate people about this for 10 years now, but since there always will be new people to these wonderful plants I have given up and acceptet the fact: When I speak about cranesbills I use the word cranesbill; when I speak about pelargoniums I use the word pelargoniums.

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 6:12AM
melrt968(u.k. scotland)

You do not say where you live in South Africa. Many of the universites in SA will have Botany Departments who could sort out your taxonomy problem(s).
A quick search on Google showed that Rhodes University has a very modern Botany Department. I would be tempted to try and contact one near you.
Good Luck
Ron

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
pruning geraniums
I have several geraniums that went without water for...
rad1
Seed Geranium or Cutting for baskets
After growing several vegetables from seed I'm going...
obrionusa
What's the secret to rooting cuttings?
I've been trying to take cuttings of the geraniums...
fieldofflowers
My Geraniums Stopped Blooming, Can I get some help please?
My 10 year old geranium plants haven't bloomed since...
melissaoc1
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™