Foundation plant for front of house

Marge12345April 13, 2012

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and Naples, FL and so glad I found both.

I have lot of questions but will start with just one :).

We moved into a new home which has arbecola (sp) variegated in the front. Our home is very light color not quite white stucco. I do not like the yellowish/light green of the plants in front of the house.

Any suggestions? I have been reading about Green Island Ficus which does not have invasive roots as the other ficus. I love its dark, glossy leaves. Also the landscaper suggested Wax Jasmine or Carissa Holly. The plantings will be kept short up to 3' so not to interfere with the windows.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

1 - What direction does the front of your house face?
2 - Sun or shade? (Any trees to provide shade?)

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 5:59PM
Marge12345

Our house faces West and gets sun from 12 noon on. No trees in front only small plants. It is a narrow strip of planting area in front of our house about 4 feet wide from our house foundation to pavers for the driveway and parking area.
The arbecola is doing well but I do not like the variegation colors playing off our house. The front of our house looks so blah and washed out. Dark green plants would look so much better. That's why I was thinking Green Island Ficus. I need something short or at least something that I can trim so our windows don't get covered.
Something 3 feet or so.

Am fearful of ficus next to the foundation even if it is a "slow grower" and not like the other ficus plants. But love its looks.

Really need some guidance.

Thanks!

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 11:52PM
cynthiainsouthfla

I like a lot of color rather than just green, so you may not be up for what I like, but since your area is not that large, what about copper plant or crotons? Both warm colors that would tone well with an off-white, assuming it has warm rather than cool undertones.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 4:27PM
Marge12345

Good suggestion but what I did this winter was to plant small annuals in front of the foundation plants. This worked well with the arboricola when I planted pink/red impatients this winter. Gave it lots of color.
Still looking for ideas to use dark green plants, must be the Irish in me ;).

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 11:19AM
FLgardenmom

I did good ole boxwood under my front Windows. But they barely get any sun. If I had your sun, I would have done Indian Hawthorn.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 12:30PM
cynthiainsouthfla

Carissa is a nice dark green if you don't mind the thorns.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
New bird food!
Ellen, the 90 year old, cut off the end of a piece...
thonotorose
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™