Bamboo Stalk NEEDED

vietzeroMarch 10, 2010

I am looking for some bamboo stalk for my oriental landscaping. If you have some bamboo that you need someone to cut down I am willing to cut them down as long as you let me have the stalk. I live in Forest Park... so if you are somewhat near there then let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
satellitehead(z8 ATL Metro)

Please tell me you're looking for clumping bamboo, and not running bamboo?

Running is invasive and can't be stopped.
Blumping will stay contained in a bundle.

For the sake of keeping invasives in check, and from creating problems for others, I hope everyone thinking about planting bamboo knows the difference and practices responsible planting behavior with regard to bamboo. There are hundreds of threads of folks complaining about clueless neighbors causing them unsurmountable amounts of grief after planting running bamboo, and not doing anything to contain it properly.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 9:36PM
esh_ga

I think this person just wants bamboo canes to use as stakes and for decorative purposes. Not living plants.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 9:38PM
satellitehead(z8 ATL Metro)

Oops. Good call, esh. Sometimes I can't help myself. Sorry.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 10:08PM
vietzero

I found some bamboo canes thank esh_ga for clearing it out. My friend got a neighbor who have a who lot of bamboo that need to cut down. So we grab a car load of bamboo today. They hurt a whole lot when it whack you in the face. Trust me.. I have the mark to proof it. By the way I do have a bamboo plant. They are in a pot thou so it is very small. How do you get big bamboo cane growing it in a pot? Bigger pot or growing it in a barrel?

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 1:23AM
esh_ga

Well it is important to understand that different species of bamboo will have different sizes of canes, even at maturity. Some canes reach as large as an inch (or more), while others are never bigger than half an inch. I read somewhere that the cane never gets bigger than it does after the first 60 days of growth (when the shoot comes out of the ground). That is, an individual cane does not increase in size over several years like a tree. Bamboo is a grass.

When growing bamboo in the ground, it is important to use "clumping" bamboo varieties. Those may even been better when growing in a pot. Check out the bamboo references on the web for more specific recommendations.

Here is a link that might be useful: American bamboo society

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 9:43AM
nippersdad

Hello Vietzero:

I have the running bamboo that Esh and Satellitehead are talking about and, yes, it invaded from a neighbor's house. I have been cutting some this week and you would be more than welcome to as much as you like. The canes are twenty to thirty feet long and some have a caliper of several inches; it would make interesting fences or structural pieces.

I have been cutting them into ten and five foot posts for ease of movement, but if you have a trailer you could probably move larger canes.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 11:30AM
clintb2015

nippersdad: Do you still have some bamboo that can be cut? I would like some for the garden to make supports for beans, cucumbers, etc.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 7:39PM
nippersdad

Hello Clint

I'm sorry I did not see this sooner. I have more than enough bamboo for anything you might want it for, and there is still plenty of time to harvest it before your beans get too large. Drop me a line at my e-mail; mike_retreat@yahoo.com if you are still interested in getting some.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
Insured Tree Removal Cmp recommendations
Is there a good INSURED & reasonable tree removal...
vnginger
winter veggies in straw bale garden?
I have used the straw bale gardening method in spots...
katy_bug
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
free partially bags of fertilizer, lime, etc.
Can't move these. I have partial bags of fertilizer,...
Tricia
Howdy Folks!
Any of the old regulars still around? I have been...
vroomp
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™