how to find out if zonal-geranium (pelargonium) is dead

samirasoniMarch 12, 2009

this year we had a bad winter. there were many small plants which are now without any leaves or some deadly limbed leaves. are these plants dead or will they come back in spring? shall i throw them or wait to see if some life comes back to those?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeannie7

Where are these pels, outside or inside?
The first time I showed my brother-in-law what I had saved from the previous season of half a dozen geraniums, he was convinced the 3 he gave up on were first rate plants that will enjoy another season.
They looked like they were candidates for the garbage heap but that's what needs convincing people the plant is still very much what will return.

Not all annuals can be so saved, but geranium and a few others are able to come back even when they are dried up clumps of ....

The cue is to help them avoid any stress by cutting them back --to as little as 3" - 4", and giving them fresh potting soil, into a clean pot (clay is good) giving them as much sunlight in a window (south or western exposure is ideal...eastern will do too) watering them to drainge, then not watering again until new leaves form.
Turn the plant a quarter turn every day or so to give all parts equal sunlight. Within two weeks, new growth should be well under way. Whether new flower buds appear before going out in May, not to worry, new flowring is a guarantee---as good as it was...maybe even better.

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 7:04PM
samirasoni

thanks a lot. I scratched a bit and checked, they do have a sign of life in stems. I have cut them back to 3-4 inch size and pot them in fresh soil. watered and put in the sunny place. I hope they will come back to life.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 7:41AM
samirasoni

one of them showed some sign of life. remaing still dead looking. shall i wait for these?

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
Where to find a Red 'Black Vesuvius' dwarf Geranium?
I am interested in obtaining a Red 'Black Vesuvius'...
partybra
Geranium leaf turning yellow - picture attached
Hi, I have got 2 trailing geraniums. One is fine but...
Chellam
are geraniums annuals or perennials in 8a, Dallas area
I love geraniums and am just wondering if they are...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
What's the secret to rooting cuttings?
I've been trying to take cuttings of the geraniums...
fieldofflowers
Overwintering a long deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Sponsored Products
Signature Eggplant Velvet Blackout Curtain Panel
Overstock.com
Kenroy Home Outdoor Lanterns. Beaugh 2 Light 15 in. Outdoor Oil Rubbed Bronze Wa
$72.00 | Home Depot
Filament Design Spectra 1-Light Metallic Grey Halogen Track Light CLI-CO46057745
$81.90 | Home Depot
Hudson Valley Lighting | Waverly Two Light Wall Sconce
$300.00 | YLighting
Microwave Bacon Cooker Tray
$9.99 | zulily
Pasha Collection Floral Traditional Red Ivory Area Rug (5'3 x 6'11)
Overstock.com
Broan-Nutone Granville Tri-View 5-Light 36W x 30H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cab
$252.00 | Hayneedle
Kraus Sonus KEF-14603 Widespread Bathroom Faucet - KEF-14603CH
$249.95 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™