Different care for the ivy geraniums? Less success?

Binky(z5 WI)March 7, 2005

I overwintered about 100 regular geraniums very successfully under lights in my basement. But I had about 5 of the really pretty ivy geraniums and they just seem to barely survive. I don't know if they need more light or less water than the other type? I know my regular geraniums need almost no water to do their best. But maybe this isn't enough for the ivys? THey turned brown and have only 4 or 5 green leaves left. Thanks for any suggestions. Eileen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathicville

Hi Eileen....I see that no one has answered your question yet. I grew ivy geranium from seed last year, and noticed from the get-go that it seems to be a bit fussier than the 'regular' pelargoniums that I also grew from seed. Germination was low, growth took forever. I tried to save mine over the winter in a hanging basket on my enclosed porch. (Temps range from 45F to 60F.) I cut it back and fed it, hoping it would kick out serious new growth, but have had only marginal luck. At the same time, several of the Orbit Violet pelargoniums that I grew from seed last summer are sitting in pretty much the same circumstances (in terms of light, temps) and they're growing and blooming like crazy..........In short, I'm with you, scratching my head over what ivy geranium needs to thrive....Maybe someone else can clue us both in.

Bookmark   March 17, 2005 at 8:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheeplady_WI(z4 WI)

Hi I have an ivy geranium that is 3 years old now, every winter it comes inside, sits in a coolish not too bright, not too dim corner. I water sparingly, then about Feb. I increase the light, water and start slowly feeding. It DOES look pretty sad by Feb. Mine had only a couple of leaves and they didn't look very promising at all. Oh, and I cut it back by 3/4 when I bring it in. Sometimes I root the cuttings, sometimes not. This is the first year that I have grow lights for early spring. At first it does seem to be slow growing, but in the last week or so mine is going gangbusters. I feed them with a balanced dilute liquid plant food AND use a pinch of osmocote in each pot.

Bookmark   April 7, 2005 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Zonal geranium cuttings
I've been gardening for many years. Every fall I bring...
dowlinggram
Geranium and snow pic
Just looking out my kitchen window at the snow and...
pandora
Geranium bloom problem.
How do I get the flower heads to open fully as when...
greenhouser2
Zonal Geranium: What is the cultivar name?
Bought this at Home Depot last year and it's only label...
frugal_gardening
How to Improve Geranium Bloom Fullness?
Last year was my first year growing geraniums from...
kdog2568
Sponsored Products
Eglo Track Lighting Rottelo 3-Light Surface Mount Matte Nickel and Chrome Track
$77.00 | Home Depot
Tress Mini Table Lamp
Lightology
INSPIRE Q Huntington Trestle Baluster Extending Dining Table
Overstock.com
Fabbian | Oru F25 A07 Pendant Light
YLighting
Mia Bronze Four-Light Bath Fixture with Amber Matte Glass
$526.50 | Bellacor