Pinching Geranium Seedlings

ironside(Zone 5 Ohio)March 6, 2006

I have Park's Red Elite Geraniums grwoing, and they have 6 true leaves right now. Should I pinch back the new leaves in the center, that are growing down below in the middle of the plants? I thought I read last year that you should pinch them back after 6 true leaves. If so, do I need to pinch them back again later on? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
corgicorner(Mass 6/7)

Geraniums, like many plants, grow into a "flowering mode" in which the branch just produces flowers, and does not become a bushy plant. So, yes, you can pinch the main stem which will make the plant bushier. At this point you would take light pinch. However, if you let it grow higher, at a later time you can take a heavier pinch, say down to the point it is now, which at this point will become a cutting. Remove most of the leaves, and apply a rooting medium. I would use sterile "soil" that you sterilize yourself to help prevent the plant from pathogens in the soil from killing it---an easy task that will prevent your losing cuttings. HERE'S HOPING YOU ARE SUCCESSFUL.

Bookmark   March 10, 2006 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Scented Geranium with Cactus Mix?
So I've seen a few places recommending adding sand...
garden.bum
Hardy Geranium help..
I am new to gardening in z8b Texas. I had a question...
pinkkpearls
my geranium fell from a ceiling hook
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my geranium. A...
msunn1973
Geranium cutting- how long before they flower?
Hiyas, I took some geranium cuttings (zonal) about...
Novice.123
What's happening
Look at these leaves...ack. Please help!
imcanadian
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™