Understory Tree/ Dogwood Varieties

heavenscent(7b Atlanta)March 31, 2008

I plan on planting an understory tree near my pea gravel driveway which is located in shade/part shade near the north side of my yard under giant oak trees.

I would love for the tree branches to grow over the driveway to frame the view from the street. Of course Dogwood is the first variety that comes to mind since it also has a spreading canopy. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a specific variety of dogwood that maybe has a better form, prettier flowers, or any other attributes. I am also open to suggestions for other tree varieties.

Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Cornus florida 'Cherokee Princess' seems to be a good one, a plus is that the flowers are larger than the species and it flowers at a younger age. Pike Nurseries has carried it in the past. Buck Jones (Grayson/Woodstock) lists it in their catalog in several sizes. They also list Cloud Nine which is said to flower when young as well.

To save gas, I'd call around for availability.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 9:22AM
satellitehead(z8 ATL Metro)

On a related note, Dogwoods - I've caught wind there is a blight that is killing a lot of Dogwoods right now...we have at least three of them within a 2-block radius of my house that died this past year. Is it a big problem, a problem that some varieties are less susceptible to, or ?

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 12:03PM
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Dogwood anthracnose is the problem. It is very sad, but happens. Mine has been fighting it for years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dogwood anthracnose

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 12:12PM
esh_ga

Dogwoods that get more sun are supposedly more resistant than those in shade. These days any cultivars that are developed are considered in light of disease resistance. That's why if you look them up, you will see comments on being "resistant".

People like to transplant dogwoods from the wild, but some folks recommend that buying a cultivar that is known for some degree of resistance is better in the long run.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
Getting completely rid of invasive vines
Is this possible? We moved in to an extremely neglected...
suwannee75
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
have: lime tree - free to good home!
I have an unknown type of lime tree (not a dwarf) planted...
alison234
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™