Geraniums and Winter

JenB36March 21, 2014

I live in Denver, CO . I rent and my landlord asked me to take care of her flowers, but did not tell me what they were (Nor did I ask). My neighbor told me they were Hardy Geraniums. At the end of summer they got misshaped and stopped growing flowers. Right before winter, I cleared all of the dead stuff off and pruned them to about 6 inches from the ground. I have been reading about how to care for them so that they will grow better. But...I did not know that I was supposed to bring them inside during the winter? Are they going to grow back? I see small leaves popping up at the bottom of the plant

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

There is a lot of confusion over the name 'Geranium'. There is a genus Geranium and there is a related genus Pelargonium. The confusion arises over people calling Pelargoniums Geraniums in common parlance. If yours were definitely hardy Geraniums there was no need to take them indoors. That treatment is for Pelargoniums which are not hardy. Hardy Geraniums need no care to speak of. They will reappear in the Spring as you have seen. If you get drought they might need some water. If you want to do something with them you can trim off dead flowers or even trim them right back when they get a bit ratty and they will push out fresh new leaves. But essentially they are almost zero maintenance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Examples of hardy Geraniums.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Best way to care for this geranium?
Hi All, I have this geranium my girlfriend got somewhere...
sergtheuke
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
are geraniums annuals or perennials in 8a, Dallas area
I love geraniums and am just wondering if they are...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Where to find a Red 'Black Vesuvius' dwarf Geranium?
I am interested in obtaining a Red 'Black Vesuvius'...
partybra
pruning geraniums
I have several geraniums that went without water for...
rad1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™