Rare Find in the Tampa Area

blutayle(z9aFL)June 26, 2013

Just found this at Lowes up here in New Port Richey. At first, I thought it was a big coffee plant. The leaves are huge and almost succulent. Then I turn it around and it has this huge Gardenia type flower on it. I look at the tag on the pot and it says Tahitian Gardenia. I thought those were single start shaped flowers. This is fully double and very rugged, thick, succulent like. I never ran for a cart so quickly...wanted to snatch up all six....but logic jumped in and rescued the wallet...lol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)

Congrats! There is a double hybrid called 'Heaven Scent'. I'm assuming that's what you found? How's the scent?
Your story of running for a basket made me laugh. I'm always thrilled when I actually come across a desirable, fragrant plant when I least expect it. ;)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Heaven Scent' double Tahitian Gardenia

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:15PM
blutayle(z9aFL)

Hi Robert,

Yes, upon further investigation this is the new double Tahitian gardenia. I did google new Tahitian gardenia double and got what I was looking for. I am so jaded now and these are the dregs of summer in Florida...very uninspiring and not much of a garden spirit in this heat. But....when u see something you have never seen before...it is like kid in the candy store all over again...here is a post from someone on another site...

Positive malika1 On Dec 6, 2012, malika1 from Toa Baja, PR (Zone 11) wrote:
If you love jasmines and gardenias, and you do not own this plant, get it! I mean, get the double! I think it is even more exciting than the Duke of Tuscany Sambac. Really. The flowers are massive and the leaves are leathery, healthy, and darkish green. Large plants can be expensive, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime plant to own. Mine went for 85 bucks, but is is huge...oh, I live in Puerto Rico and has anyone had luck with clippings?

Also, in the market for trades of rare, scented plant rooted clippings and seeds...

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 5:46PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Awesome! I grew both the single and double Tahitian gardenia last year from a mail order purchase. They didnt handle the cold here too well and croaked.

One of them produced a single flower but I wasn't sure if it was actually the single or double cultivar since I mixed up the tags. And supposedly even the double can produce single flowers.

The scent of it was like a common gardenia but more pungent, herbal/spicy. I prefer the common gardenia over it though.

I love the leaves though, they're so attractive. :)

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
Blooming in February! We are late!!!
It is almost spring, why hasn't a thread on Blooming...
rubyjchang
Can someone ID this for me please!
I saw it in a Youtube video, but I couldn't make out...
earlisbubba
' daphne odora'. Are they hard to keep alive as many say?
If they are not for you, especially in my climate zone...
meyermike_1micha
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™