Stellar Geranium

helga1April 22, 2005

I ordered a Stellar Geranium from a nursery. When it came it was a very small plant, never the less, the plant stayed alive through the summer. In the fall I brought it into the greenhouse where it lost one leaf after the other. Is this a difficult variety to grow? There is only one stalk with one leaf on it left. I don't want it to die. What can I do to keep it alive? I water sparingly. The plant has been in the sun - but not too hot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melrt968(u.k. scotland)

There are several different cultivars of Stellar Pelargoniums generally they are easy to grow and maintain. I would try and keep your plant in good light but not direct sunlight, moist, but not wet, in a dry atmosphere.
If you can borrow Faye Brawner's book "Geraniums The Complete Encyclopedia" you will find a great deal of information about stellar and othe types of pelargonims. If you look at the post by misterg on this forum entitled Geranium ID you will see a photograph of on of the most populars stellars Vancouver Centennial.
Good Luck
Ron

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 12:25PM
helga1

Thank you Ron. To my delight, I noticed life today. Will keep it dryer. The plant is in my greenhouse now, which is covered with a 50% shade cloth, so it should be ok. Maybe it just needed warmer temps.

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 7:22PM
helga1

I just noticed your post and advice to keep the geranium in a dry place, Ron. Perhaps the humidity in my greenhouse was too high. I will take the plant out pronto!
Night time temps are still in mid 40s. Is that too cold for the little Stellar? I could have it under the eaves there.

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 7:33PM
melrt968(u.k. scotland)

Night time temps of mid forties Fahrenheit might not kill your plant but it is unlikely to thrive. Can you find a well lit window-sill in the house where the night temperature remains a bit higher?

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 4:17AM
helga1

Thank you melrt968. I will bring the Stellar into the house.

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
want to trade pelagornium seeds/cuttings
Would like to trade seeds (horea and Otidia and various...
asclepchris
Where to find a Red 'Black Vesuvius' dwarf Geranium?
I am interested in obtaining a Red 'Black Vesuvius'...
partybra
Hardy Geranium help..
I am new to gardening in z8b Texas. I had a question...
pinkkpearls
What is the name of this flower?
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the...
Shaz79
What's happening
Look at these leaves...ack. Please help!
imcanadian
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™