Still no sign of my hardy geranium - Rozanne

ShirleyD(z4b WI)April 16, 2005

I'm trying to be patient but I'm about to give up on my Rozannes! Everything else in my garden is starting to come up - but no sign of my Rozannes! I spent a lot of money on them last year and hate the thought of having to replace them. They bloomed right up until the first hard frost - the last thing blooming in the garden! Is anyone else in Wisconsin (or zone 4b) having the same problem??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pellie_grower(z8 UK)

mine are only just appearing here in the UK

Bookmark   April 17, 2005 at 3:50PM
GeeDavey

I haven't seen any of mine either. I had to transplant them toward the end of last year and then did some diggin near them during winter. But I still expected the to at least show.

Bookmark   April 18, 2005 at 8:44PM
Garden_Heaven(z6b Canada)

Mine are just starting to show. All my other geraniums have been up for weeks. I am in Southern Ontario, zone 6B.

Maybe just give them a few more weeks, and you'll see them.

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 10:20AM
pixoid(z7 NY)

Rozanne is one of the last things to appear in my zone 7/6b garden. The plant just emerged 2 weeks ago and is still tiny.

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 2:09PM
chilidog(5 SE WI)

Mine just popped up last week and today it already has 10 leaves on it. My other geraniums showed up over 2 weeks ago, so I'm guessing Rozanne is just a little slower to wake up. Bought mine on a clearance rack last fall, so this is my first year with it.

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 3:30PM
margriet(Netherlands)

Hello Shirley,
After a late winter in the beginning of March, with about 40 centimeters of snow and frost upto -15C (coast-area!)
my Rozannes are growing strong. I planted them last summer.

Gr. Margriet, The Netherlands.

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 6:00PM
ShirleyD(z4b WI)

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! I just checked again today and still no sign of them. I'm trying to be patient but I'm starting to get a little worried. I'll give them 2 more weeks before I start shopping for their replacements. . . .but it will have to be more Rozannes!

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 7:27PM
newbie_WI(WI)

I'm in Madison and have about four different spots with Rozanne and their timing is VERY different depending on their location---in the sunnier sites they came up ~two weeks ago and have ~ten leaves, but in the shadiest site I am only now seeing the first nub breaking through the mulch! Don't give up! (I love them too and would have shopped for replacements if they bit the dust)

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 9:28PM
tangerine_z6(6)

My Rozanne hasn't shown up either. She is planted in 3/4 sun in zone 6. I sure hope she returns.

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 12:36PM
ShirleyD(z4b WI)

Rozanne update - still no sign of them! I'm about ready to give up and plan on replacing them with more Rozannes! You just can't beat them for long lasting blooms!

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 6:59AM
sheltieche

It is intresting since Rozanne is almost evergreen for me- already nice heavy bushes created- I love geraniums and have many different varieties- Rozanne one of the favorites- it will be 3rd year and they really getting huge. On other hand I had some other heavy losses of geraniums but since I grown many from seeds I am not sure of hardiness of them.
Geraniums are also can heave out from the soil so it is possibility why they do not overwinter well.

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 10:28PM
tangerine_z6(6)

It's official. Rozanne is gone. I'll being replacing her though.

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 8:52AM
outinthegardenallday(Zone 7, LI,NY)

I had my Rozanne in a pot all last Summer. I transplanted the plant into the ground last October. She threw out a few more blooms...last one in November I believe. We had a wicked winter her on Long Island and all I could do was hope for the best.

After the weather started to finallY warm up I saw a little bit of growth. Now I've got quite a bit of growth...maybe once your weather starts to warm up you'll get some growth back...one can always hope right?

Ciao,
OITGAD

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 10:33PM
angliagardener

I plan to put in 6 Johnsons Blue Hardy Geraniums along a border. I have had no problems with the hardy geraniums but we have had mild winters for the last three years. The new border will be planted in the spring, but I am not sure when to put the geraniums in.

Also, has anyone had expererience with Lyme grass?. I have read that in some places it can be very invasive. I want to use one clump in a garden border.

Bookmark   January 11, 2008 at 9:49PM
petsitterbarb(Zone 6, N.E. OK)

Where is the best source to purchase Rozanne?

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 4:31PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Rozanne is sold by all the garden nurseries around here, but I imagine you could buy it mail-order from Bluestone or many other sources.

Bookmark   August 9, 2009 at 11:26PM
More Discussions
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
Zonal geranium cuttings
I've been gardening for many years. Every fall I bring...
dowlinggram
My Geraniums Stopped Blooming, Can I get some help please?
My 10 year old geranium plants haven't bloomed since...
melissaoc1
Geranium seedling fertilizer
I have been growing geraniums from seed for many years,...
karenbrockman
Overwintering a long deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Sponsored Products
Rue De Royal 4-light Aged Copper Outdoor Hanging Lantern
Overstock.com
Brass Tic Tac Toe Set
$195.00 | Horchow
Shaker Slope Chair in Black
$134.99 | Dot & Bo
Task Table Lamp - Polished - Original BTC
$635.00 | HORNE
Thin 1 Suspension by De Majo
$1,008.00 | Lumens