Any hummingbirds yet?

chezronMarch 14, 2007

Have any of you spotted any hummingbirds yet? They should be appearing pretty soon. I look forward to seeing them zipping around the garden.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
efam(z7b GA)

I have tons of birds, but no hummingbirds. I have kept the feeder attached to my kitchen window for years. When they come back, they usually come to the window and hover there for a few seconds...it's like they are telling me, "Hey lady. Where's our food?"

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 9:07AM
mid12nt(z7GA)

I saw one yesterday (I live in Stone Mountain near Tucker) seeking nectar from the flowers of my ornamental cabbages. It was a shock to see it buzzing about, I normally don't see any hummingbirds till June at the earliest. I don't think it was a ruby throat though. Of course I immediately put out my hummingbird feeders in case any more show up.

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 1:29PM
bevinga

So is it safe to assume we should go ahead and put out the feeders with the sugar solution?

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 7:16PM
georgiagirl(9GA)

I live near Savannah, and have not seen any hummingbirds yet. I put my feeder up March 1. They are later arriving this year. Last year the first one arrived the middle of February.

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 8:37PM
chezron

I watch their progress up the state through this website-
http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html
Just highlight this address and paste it into the address bar to go directly to the map.I hope to see some next week in Athens.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 11:00AM
rosiew(8 GA)

Thanks much, Chezron, for the link to the migration map. I've already sent it on to others nearby.

One thing I get so tickled about is reactions to the little darlings. All talk stops when one is spotted.

Rosie in Sugar Hill

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 6:10PM
vsjo(z7GA)

I have not seen any yet but I have just put out my feeders. I could not get them as clean as I would like so I am going to buy new ones today. I buy the cheap plastic ones because my hummers prefer them to the beautiful glass ones. I even exchanged the plastic and glass positions to get them to drink from the glass ones. No luck; they found the plastic ones and continued to ignore the glass ones.

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 11:27AM
More Discussions
Lake hartwell
Does anyone live on or near the lake? My husband saw...
josephene_gw
Atlanta Seed swap
Would anyone be interested in doing an Atlanta seed...
planterjeff
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
winter veggies in straw bale garden?
I have used the straw bale gardening method in spots...
katy_bug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™