How often can you fertilize tomato with water-soluble fertilizer?

love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)April 10, 2011

Silvia, Tom and All the Experts,

How frequently should you fertilize tomato plants with water-soluble fertilizer?

Thanks!

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amberroses(10a)

Well, look at what the label tells you to do. If you want to fertilize twice as frequently as they recommend then make a solution 1/2 as strong as they say. If you want to fertilizer 4 times as frequently then make a solution 1/4 as strong. Probably you should just water it once in a while though without the fertilizer. I do it once a week or whenever I can remember anyway.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 5:19PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Well here is the hilarious thing: at Scotts'/Miracle Gro's own product website under "Details & Usage" it actually says, "How often to apply: Product can be used every 7-14 days as desired." Well, it begs the question: how often does the tomato "desire"?! (Certainly they don't mean how often I desire?!) LOL!

Carol

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 5:25PM
tomncath(St Pete Z10a Heat 10)

Some undefined variables. In the ground or containers? And, if in containers what is the potting mix? What OTHER fertilizer did you add to the soil or potting mix? If a potting mix what fertilizer did it already have?

Soil or mix drainage will define the frequency such that you don't drown the plants. My philosophy is that 1/4 strength is always safer than what they recommend for liquid fertilizers, usually applied about twice as frequently IF you have good drainage. BUT, a lot depends on what else you've done in the way of additional fertilizers.

Tom

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 6:02PM

I know, I know! So the bottom line is, I don't know. Too funny - I've got myself laughing. I think it will end up being trial and error.

Carol

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 6:10PM
amberroses(10a)

Yeah, I can't believe they care about your desire.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 6:29PM

Amber, I can't stop laughing!!

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 6:32PM

Okay you two, I didn't go there, are you pulling an Erica Jong on me?

:-)

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 7:30PM

Tom, are you implying that this discussion could all be symbolic? I'll have to think about that.

By the way, the tomatoes are your famous special tomatoes (Everglads); they are in the ground (not containers); they are in rich soil with some Black Cow stirred into the soil before planting; they are in full sun from about noon through sunset (7-8 hours per day), and the soil drains fairly quickly.

Carol

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 7:39PM

But, how BIG are they ;-)

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 7:45PM

4-5 inches or a foot, depending upon your ruler, LOL!

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 7:51PM

Handgrenades and horseshoes ;-)

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 8:03PM

Just waiting on Lou now to take it to the next level...

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 8:10PM
gardengimp(9B Seminole Cnty FL)

Oh Lou! Your audience is calling!

~dianne

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 10:02PM
loufloralcityz9

I use well rotted chicken manure but finding a well rotted chicken and waiting for it to poop is the hard part.
I can't use black cow manure because all the cows out in the pasture are brown.
I tried the topsy turvy method with my pots up-side-down but it made the dang maters hard to pick.
Now I bonsai my tomato plants to keep them short, that way those ugly red globes don't grow on them and everything stays nice and green.

Lou

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 1:56PM
saldut

Well, I'll chime in with a straight face, MOL..... my 'maters are all in pots, and need water at least twice a day, I mix up some MG in a bucket and pour some into each bucket I have next to each plant, I keep that water-bucket there so all I have to do is dip out some water and not drag the hose all over the yard.. so essentially I am giving each 'mater some liquid fertilizer each time I water...I won't even speculate at what strength but the water is blue, from the MG... most of my 'maters are getting pretty big, they are from last year's planting Tom brought me.... but they are still setting fruit so I keep them going even tho' they are pot-bound now.....I speculate that the only thing that keeps them going is the liquid fert., by now, because any other nutrient in the potting-mix has been long-gone..... works for me.... sally

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
Avocado wilt
I think we have the red bay wilt on our avocado. No...
DunedinDan
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
African Irises just bloomed; they're pretty
The plants bloomed nine mos after being stuck in the...
stewbrew FL_10b
Thinking of planting azaleas
So I went for it and ripped out the ugly bushes in...
Debo214
What to see in North Central FL this weekend?
I will be just north of Orlando. Any special events...
irma_stpete_9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™