Jasmine flower drop

quinnfyre(z7 PA)June 26, 2005

Hi, I've got a question I was hoping someone can help me with. I just recently got a jasmine plant. I believe it is a single-flowered jasminum sambac. My problem is that as of late, it seems to drop its flowers as soon as they are open. The buds look to set up fine, and there is plenty of new growth, but I can't get the flowers to stay on more than a few hours after they open.

Anyone heard of this happening? Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks a bunch.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
risingpower1(Essex, UK)

It's nothing to worry about, I've got one too doing the same thing, and you'll notice there are buds growing from where the other ones have fallen from. The flowers only last a few days regardless with the single variety. It could be also partly due to watering it too much, it should be kept pretty dry, only watering it when the surface of the compost dries.

RP1

Bookmark   June 26, 2005 at 7:56PM
Jasmine_Lover

Yes riseingpower1 is right. I am 15 years ld and i love growing jasmine hense the my urser name lol. the jasmine u have is Sambac (Maid of orleans) this is one of my fav's. if u are looking for a jasmine that lasts a lil long yo might want to check out the grand duck of tuscany jasmine. this ia a greatjasmine plat with tripple flowers that last many days abnd instead of droping off the plant they dry rith onto theier stems. good luck
~Keith

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 11:36AM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Thanks for the info. I don't think overwatering was the problem, though... I've been keeping it pretty dry, for the most part, only watering when the surface was definitely dry. I'm going to try moving it to a warmer room, to see if that helps. Where it was before, it got the cool air drifting down from the air-conditioned 3rd floor... maybe it didn't like that? We'll see.

Glad to hear that the flower drop is not too weird a thing to happen though. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something like disease or something like that.

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 9:25PM
cinnamonscone(z6 PA)

Hmm. I have my jasmines outdoors for the summer. If you have them indoors, make sure they get as much sunlight as possible.

Bookmark   July 6, 2005 at 1:35PM
quinnfyre(z7 PA)

Eeek, I figured out what it was... it's having a bit of a mite infestation. I just sprayed it with some insecticidal soap, so we'll see how it does.

Bookmark   July 23, 2005 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
Chimonanthus Praecox Wintersweet in Zone 6?
The Chinese Winterswwet (Chimonanthus Praecox) is listed...
redsun9
I'm looking for Aglaia odorata or Chloranthus spicatus.
Hi, I live in Poland and I'm looking for Aglaia odorata...
8hydroxyquinoline
Best scented ceanothus variety??
Hey guys, Any input is much appreciated. I never considered...
fenius
Randia ruiziana (Angel of the Night) flower bud?
I don't know but I sure hope so! I've been noticing...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu'
I bought three large plants because I read about their...
KJMM
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™