Gadrenia legging how to treat ?

khourshedJune 26, 2011

hi all,

I have been following this very informative forum for a while now. Time to ask for help.

my 2 gardenia is growing legs every where

how to cure it, which branch exactly to cut. I had bad experience trimming a previous gardenia, it lead to its death.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehitabel(z6 MO)

You need to shape a plant to your own eye, khourshed. But what I would recommend is that you don't cut it all at once. I use the "1/3" rule".

Cut no more than 1/3 of the branches, wait until that branch resprouts, then cut the second 1/3. Repeat. In addition, the branch that's cut, I cut 1/3 of that. This gives you good proportions on the "new" plant, and leaves the plant plenty of foliage to continue growing with.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 9:16AM
khourshed

thanks for the advise, the problem it cuts in my heart when i cut it but i will do it, the other problem the second tree is non stop blooming i feel sorry to trim it since this mean no more flowers

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 10:09AM
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Well, I know what you mean. I'm waiting to cut back a couple of gardenias further, but they keep putting out blooms. I've done two 1/3's on them, but haven't been able to finish the shaping. (They did sprout back). I'd say, just enjoy it while it's blooming and cut it back later.

BTW, I would definitely not cut it back in the late fall tho. Since it's in the ground, you don't want it sprouting tender new growth right before winter comes on (unless your climate is very warm). Prune while there's still time for the new growth to toughen up a little before cold weather arrives.

Good luck. You'll do fine.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 10:53AM
butterfly4u

Khourshed,
Your gardenia is reaching for sunlight big time.
You will always have this problem if you leave it where it is. It will always try to reach like that for the sunlight.
I am sure you don't want to move it.
So, if it is staying where it is at, don't trim it, it needs that sunlight to bloom.
Leave it alone and enjoy it.
Personally, I like the looks of it, it's awesome looking that way, but that's just my personal opinion.
If you MUST cut it back, only to have it grow back up to the sunlight again, just trim the tope 1/3 of the shrub off. Do it as soon as possible.
Gardenias set their buds for NEXT years bloom in July and August.
Like Rhododendrums.(sort of).
But if there is any way you can let it go like that, don't trim it back.

Bookmark   June 30, 2011 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
Ixora odorata
Hello, does anyone have this on the mainland U.S.A.?...
donnagoetz
Randia ruiziana (Angel of the Night) flower bud?
I don't know but I sure hope so! I've been noticing...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™