Need ideas on field testing cold hardy gardenias.

tnangelaJune 25, 2009

I ended up with far more seedlings than I could ever hope to fit in my little yard...somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 or so (I still have more to plant).

Is there an individual, organisation, or business out there that has the space and interest in field testing a bunch of gardenias with the interest in selecting the most cold hardy? Any one have any other ideas on what to do with this many seedlings?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

WOW! So many gardenias. I have never even seen a gardenia set seed before. I would love to grow some seedlings for testing, but I don't think I qualify for cold testing since I live in So Cal. I would however, also love to grow some for selecting good characteristics (perhaps better and stronger fragrance, more flower power, or more doubleness).

Bookmark   June 25, 2009 at 11:03PM
yellowthumb(5a Ontario)

This is so awesome, I have never been able to germinate a gardenia before. Where did you get your seeds? How long it took to germinate?

Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 12:07AM
    Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 10:38AM
tnangela

About germination for gardenias. I believe they key is for the seed to be completely dry. If you plant while wet it will not germinate until the soil dries completely. Best just to let seed dry before planting as then it will germinate within a few weeks.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 10:44AM
tnangela

1) I could dump them all in my parents yard. Don't think they'll stand for it though.
2) I could call some local companies that have fields and see if they would be interested. I've also thought about seeing if the city parks dept. might be interested.
3) There's been a new highway built near me that has some large excavated hillsides that wouldn't get mowed (guerilla gardening).

I don't think I would want to mail them...I would like to find someone interested local, as in East TN. Plus I would like to get an air layering off the most cold hardy.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 10:54AM
jeff_al

my first thought was an arboretum. you might also contact the horticulture department at a university like tennessee at knoxville. if that is your state's land grant university, i think they should be interested. i know that auburn university has an extensive testing system for agriculture/horticulture plant development and breeding in my area (auburn, al) and also test plots scattered about the state.

Bookmark   June 26, 2009 at 11:52AM
More Discussions
' daphne odora'. Are they hard to keep alive as many say?
If they are not for you, especially in my climate zone...
meyermike_1micha
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
Petunia 'Cottage Queen'
Has anyone ever sniffed this petunia? I noticed it...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
I'm looking for Aglaia odorata or Chloranthus spicatus.
Hi, I live in Poland and I'm looking for Aglaia odorata...
8hydroxyquinoline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™