Natural Catastroph And Recover Operation

longriver(SF Bay Area)June 22, 2008

Two winters ago, weather was cold. Ten nights was under freezing temperature, I lost four Michelia alba plants. My recover operation was to apply approaching graft methods to produced two new grafted plants last year. I just made ten more approaching grafts this year. Hopefully my M. alba plant shall be not extinct from my backyard.

Approaching graft is a fool proof method by introducing a magnolia plant to tie their branches together( both branches are cut to about 1/3 longitudinally to match them side by side). After a few months, a new grafted M. alba is here. I even have the flowers buds on the small branch.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
longriver(SF Bay Area)

A new grafted M. alba plant is here. I need to trim off the other odd branch at the joint later this year.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 6:27PM
snasxs(7-8 VA)

Hey Long River, is mine the same kind?

I think their leaves are too large and flowers are too skinny. Gee. I admit the fragrance is good.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 8:17PM
kasiec

Thanks for sharing your method Longriver. Can I use any type of Magnolia plant?

Kasie

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 12:49AM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

Yes, you can use any kind of magnolia. However, it is hard to find or to buy a small magnolia tree at 1/2 to 1 inch size in diameter. I used to order 100 small ones of deciduous magnolia from wholesale nursery. yet I have to grow it for two more years before grafting.
There is possible another way to produce a small under stock by air-layering of your magnolia.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 1:04PM
kasiec

Thank you for the reponse Longriver. Air layering sounds fun also.

Kasie

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 1:38PM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

There is another way to do approaching graft. If you have a larger magnolia understock or a large magnolia tree that can used as understock. You can use a small M. alba to be grafted together. The small branch of M. alba should be in mature woody tissure, not a soft branch.

If you are able to do so, watch out next year. The scion will take off fast due to so much energy from strong understock.

People might ask why? Because at least in northern California, it is cool in the evening, success rate of rooting, air layering or cleft garfting are very low. Also there is a partial reason that the plant scion tissue is very easy to become black dead tissue.

Bookmark   June 26, 2008 at 6:28PM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

Snasxs, If the color is white, then they are the same kind. Yet if the color is bronze yellow, then it is M. champaca of same magnolia family. You can find inf. on web search as my picture.

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 6:41AM
kasiec

My M. champaca is planted in the ground and it is a fighter. It lost all of its leaves during the freeze and I thought that was the end of it. But nope, it grew back with a vengeance.

Kasie

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 12:18PM
alba-mickey(San Francisco)

Dear loggriver: Will you kindly please explain how to do the approaching graft on the michelia alba, step by step and show me with the pictures. Thank you. My email address is mickeykwok@earthlink.net Thank you so much. Waiting for your email dor your advises.

Bookmark   November 19, 2008 at 2:15AM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

It is simple.
1. You need first to find two branches of each plant to match.
2. Stablize the pots together by your judgement with cord and even steel fence post to stablize all of them to the location ground.
3. trim off the surface of the selected branches, about 25% or less. The surface must be flat, about 3 inches in length.
4. Tie the cut branches together carefully overing all three inches without breaking the branches.
5. Make the approach graft in early June. In Ca I cut them off in next March. I use a large poly bag to cover the new plant and keep the plant in a bright area without direct sun like a green house.
6. The polybag will keep the new graft in nice humidity envirnment for further recover. You first break two small, 1/2-inch, holes on the polybag and enlarge the hole slightly each month till the covered plant showing vitality. Water and lightly fertilize the plant as needed.

Bookmark   November 20, 2008 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
Blooming in February! We are late!!!
It is almost spring, why hasn't a thread on Blooming...
rubyjchang
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
I'm looking for Aglaia odorata or Chloranthus spicatus.
Hi, I live in Poland and I'm looking for Aglaia odorata...
8hydroxyquinoline
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™