Toxic hardy geraniums?

schifferle(5b NE Kansas)April 15, 2009

I emailed a friend that I was growing hardy geraniums in my yard. The only problem I was having was with them loving to chase each other through them and doing a bit of their own landscaping by doing so. My friend insists that hardy geraniums are quite toxic if they should eat them. I've searched the web and can find no mention of them being poisonous. Are they? I really doubt they'll try to eat them. They're interested in the rabbits, cats and birds that sometimes come into my yard (fortunately, for them, they're good at getting away from my dogs).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schifferle(5b NE Kansas)

Upon major, major searching, I finally found two references to Hardy Geraniums on poisonous plant lists. They did not mention just how toxic, toxic parts or symptoms. I wonder how dangerous they really are when hardy geraniums are rather common garden flowers yet it was difficult to find any lists mentioning them.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 12:11PM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Any list of poisonous perennials that I've seen (been gardening and working in the industry for years) does not include any Geranium sp.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Vermont list of

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 3:05PM
schifferle(5b NE Kansas)

Geranium x 'Johnson's Blue' "...poisonous"
http://www.sunnygardens.com/garden_plants/geranium/geranium_1283.php

I'll be danged if I can find the 2 poisonous plants lists again that I saw with Hardy Geraniums on them. Saw many lists without them listed though. That's why I wasn't overly concerned. It just took me by surprise when my friend mentioned them as being toxic. That's why I was asking if anyone heard of this before. Thanks so much, cpg!

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 4:34PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Do you grow azaleas? rhododendrons? ivy? daffodils? daphne? they are all toxic..... dogs aren't usually poisoned by garden plants but by anti freeze, onions, chocolate and tylenol. I would not worry about hardy geraniums.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
my geranium fell from a ceiling hook
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my geranium. A...
msunn1973
want to trade pelagornium seeds/cuttings
Would like to trade seeds (horea and Otidia and various...
asclepchris
Where to find a Red 'Black Vesuvius' dwarf Geranium?
I am interested in obtaining a Red 'Black Vesuvius'...
partybra
What's happening
Look at these leaves...ack. Please help!
imcanadian
Seed Geranium or Cutting for baskets
After growing several vegetables from seed I'm going...
obrionusa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™