Zonal Geranium and leaf-color changes?

vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)May 2, 2007

I'm new to growing Zonal Geraniums. They are doing well as far as being outdoors and are in pots right now (potted up from their 4" nursery pots), but in the last few days I noticed just one of the Pinto Red has some leaves that are turning a funny color, yet not as dark as the deep purple rings..more a dirty brownish purple. What would cause this? I was thinking cool soil since many plants get that purplish/reddish thing going on for lack of phosphorus until soil warms up, but it's just the one pot.

Thanks,

Vera

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

Ok....now on the same plant some of leaves are turning orange! What's up with this plant?

Bookmark   May 4, 2007 at 7:03PM
louis_2007_2007

I'm wondering about leaf color changes, too. I bought a few young geraniums here recently. I'm in NW Montana, and the temperature ranges from 103 degrees to -25 degrees, but mostly stays within 100 and maybe -15. Anyway, I put them out in my garden that gets afternoon sun, but not much morning sun; it was warm that week, but then we had (and continue to have)a rainy spell, during which the temps are dropping into the 36 degree range at night. Are the poor things just reacting to this chilly spell? The nice, dark green leaves have turned a sortof bronzish color, kind of purplish and brown, but otherwise still look firm and normal. Thanks for any insight somebody might have.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 7:51PM
kitkat_oregon(7)

I'm no expert by any means but I grow zonals and scented geraniums for our farmers market here. Usually color changes can be 'brought on' by keeping zonals on the dry side but this usually brings on brighter color rings not dull ones so I would think that it is a temperature or nutritional thing. These plants are notoriously hungry. Try feeding a balanced diet of 15-30-15 and see if the colors of the leaves turns back to normal. If not, try changing the soil. Keep them warm, they do not like to even approach freezing. If the orange leaves turn yellow and die, look for white fly and put out sticky traps to catch the nasties. Good luck. Kat

Bookmark   June 6, 2007 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
Hardy Geraniums older thread.....
any additions of your favorites to this older thread: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1632443/hardy-geraniums-revisited...
oldtimegal57
Help...my geranium looks pitiful!
Can somebody tell me what I need to do to revive my...
plant_lover_grow
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
pruning geraniums
I have several geraniums that went without water for...
rad1
What's happening
Look at these leaves...ack. Please help!
imcanadian
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™