spinning primrose

lives2grow(z5IN)June 27, 2006

Is anyone else growing "spinning primrose"? I've grown it for several years, but never hear anyone else mention it. It is one of the most fragrant plants I've ever smelled. One plant is perfuming a large part of my back yard right now. It is a species of Oenothera. It is biennial & blooms at night & on cloudy days. The hummingbird moths like it. The first year it produces a rosette of leaves close to the ground. In its second season it sends up 3'-4' flower stalks. The blooms are yellow & smell wonderful. I only had to plant them one year-it reseeds very well! Carla

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mare2(5bSt.Louis)

Do you know which Oenothera it is? Is yours the one that twists open while you watch (see the last listing, 'Tina James,' below)? I get that one on alternate years but don't get a chance to smell it much because I have it in a distant corner of the yard due to the height and self-sowing habit. But you're making me want to move it to a better spot! Thanks for bringing it up! 'Mare

Here is a link that might be useful: Flower Scent Gardens

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 9:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lives2grow(z5IN)

The tag at the nursery just said "spinning primrose". It doesn't have enough petals to be "Tina James", but it does unfurl before your eyes, like the description says. I've looked in all of my books, & on the internet,& my best guess is O. biennis. One sight had 65 varieties! None of them looked exactly right. The leaves have a very prominent pink vein down the middle, & that's not mentioned in any of the descriptions. I've fallen in love with this plant all over again this year. I plan to save a lot of seeds & help it spread. I'm going to try it in some areas were nothing else has been successful. Even my teenage sons have been fascinated by it this year, though they wouldn't want to admit it :). One son has been trying to catch some unusual moths for his 4-H entomology project, so he's been keeping an eye on the evening bloomers. Thanks for writing! Happy smelling! Carla

Bookmark   July 7, 2006 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
What is finally being evicted this year?
Anyone finally lose patience or be so disappointed...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Blooming in May
The thread is open :-)
true_blue
How large does Epiphyllum oxypetalum need to be to bloom?
So last night on a whim I decided to check out the...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Help with my star jasmine please!
I am really hoping for some advice for my Star jasmine,...
ourarka
What is finally being evicted this year?
Anyone finally lose patience or be so disappointed...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Sponsored Products
New Shades of Brown Modern Tibetan 4x6 Hand Knotted Persian Wool Area Rug H1826
BH Sun Inc
Tom Dixon | Screw Base Table - Birch
YLighting
Koncept Gen 3 Z-Bar Slim Warm Light LED Black Desk Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Blindsgalore Expressions Roller Shades: Stripes
Blindsgalore
Retro Black and Grey Runner: 2 Ft. 3 In. x 11 Ft. Rug
$102.95 | Bellacor