$10 Ivy Geranium - Cuttings to make a second basket?

Binky(z5 WI)May 15, 2006

I bought a lovely $10 basket of ivy geraniums today. While I've had good luck with regular geraniums, I've never been able to overwinter the ivy types. I wondered if rooting is also more difficult. My plan was simply to take 3 inch cuttings, but them in a second basket, put them in a plastic bag and wait until they root. Am I missing any key ideas??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melrt968(u.k. scotland)

Hello Binky,
Ivy geraniums or pelargoniums are no more difficult to manage than most of the other types of geraniums. Personally I keep all my geraniums in their pots or baskets in a well lit, frost- free environment, but not in direct sunlight, from Autumn to early summer, the roots are kept just moist. This system works for me.
When rooting geranium/pelargonium cuttings I do NOT use rooting hormone, liquid or powder. Just insert the prepared cutting into a mixture of potting compost/perlite or vermiculite, water and allow to drain. Do NOT tent or close up the cuttings but keep them in good light at about 15-20 degrees Celsius. If you treat pellie cuttings with rootin hormone or tent them they tend to rot.

Hope this helps

Ron

Bookmark   May 16, 2006 at 5:56AM
More Discussions
Geranium leaf turning yellow - picture attached
Hi, I have got 2 trailing geraniums. One is fine but...
Chellam
Citaniila geraniums
im in need of some happy colored geraniums.. id like...
sewnmom7
What's the secret to rooting cuttings?
I've been trying to take cuttings of the geraniums...
fieldofflowers
Scented Geranium with Cactus Mix?
So I've seen a few places recommending adding sand...
garden.bum
My Geraniums Stopped Blooming, Can I get some help please?
My 10 year old geranium plants haven't bloomed since...
melissaoc1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™