The truth about containers

gee_oh_nyc(6b/7a)May 8, 2007

I've heard different things about geraniums in containers. One version is that its best to have only one geranium per container. Others say that's not the case. What are some of your favorite ways to feature geraniums in containers? Alone? or with companion plants?

Thanks

George

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhouser(Middle TN Zone 6)

One of the prettiest containers I ever saw had several bright red geraniums planted with a small companion plant having tiny white flowers. Beautiful! I wish I knew what those tiny white flowers were.

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 12:48AM
ckthomas00(z7 VA)

Geraniums do so well for me that I give them the entire pot with an accent... Either a spike grass coming from the middle or dark green ivy around the sides.

Bookmark   June 11, 2007 at 8:57AM
joeb1979

I've got the basic standard geranium with some vinca vines. I wish I had considered adding in a white petunia or two for contrast.

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 12:27PM
birdsnblooms

I would think, if you're planning on bringing indoors in fall, they'd best be planted alone, or w/some type of house plant..maybe I'm wrong??? Toni

Bookmark   June 16, 2007 at 1:46PM
njsmom59(zone 5)

to joeb1979 how many geraniums do you have in your pot? I tend to only put three to four but they dont look as full as yours.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 10:41AM
dallasguy

That looks amazing. Mine have never looked that good. Most of mine are dead/dying due to the unusual wet weather we have been having in TX.

Bookmark   July 1, 2007 at 9:32PM
tinama

I have some in pots by themselves and then a couple with companion plants. One of them is in with vinca vines and then another is in with some lotus.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 10:53AM
alameda/zone 8

I just found a neat plant today in small pots, it is euphorbia, little white blooms that bloom continuously. I am going back for more tomorrow.......they had this plant in semi shade at my church and it was very eye catching. I plan to use more of it this summer.
Judith

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 5:47AM
prairierose_2007

Your tiny white flowers may be alyssum. I put one Rocky Mountain Red petunia in a 12" pot and put 4 or 5 alyssum plants around the edge. They will sprawl over the edge and make a nice setting for the red flowers. And I think a couple of geraniums in the pot would have been better. May try that now.

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 9:21PM
greenhouser(Middle TN Zone 6)

The small white flowers are called "snowflake" and I found them at a local nursery. I made up several hanging baskets with deep pink geraniums and a nice "snowflake" in the center.... beautiful. :)

Bookmark   May 17, 2008 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Zonal geranium cuttings
I've been gardening for many years. Every fall I bring...
dowlinggram
What is the name of this flower?
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the...
Shaz79
Citaniila geraniums
im in need of some happy colored geraniums.. id like...
sewnmom7
Will Geranium come back?
I have some geraniums that i planted in the fall and...
pinkkpearls
Parks Maverick Mix Seeds - Good for starting from seed?
I have never grown geraniums from seed. My first choice...
pagenie1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™