Hmmm...not a planned purchase; any advice?

lucidityJune 18, 2006

Hi all,

As it happens I fell into the trap of walking by a plant I just couldn't pass up. It was a 2 gallon Jasmine, no variety name but in standard form. It has glossy dark green leaves and clusters of smallish white flowers on the ends. It smelt like heaven so I had to have it. I enjoyed the blooms for a few days and of coarse now it has nothing left and I don't know how to care for it. I doubt very much it would survive our winters in Canada (southern Ontario) but I'm okay with bringing it inside.

I haven't repotted it because I was hoping the blooms would last longer but now I need to know:

1. Should I repot it? or will I never see blooms again?!

2. What exposure would be best for it?

3. Best soil conditions (acidity)

4. It has some residue (whitish) on the leaves that I can't wash off, what could it be?

Any other info that would be helpful like variety, tips to promote blooming etc?

Thank you very much for your help and patience in my new passion, trying to make out of zone plants stay healthy and bloom up a storm (well I think I'm in good company though..lol)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
siliconmage(z5 NE)

Jasmine blossoms tend to last only a single day. Prune the spent blossoms, and it will branch and create new growth on which it blooms again. It likes full sun, but will tolerate shade. Let the soil dry out a bit between waterings. I use basic MiracleGrow potting soil. They are not fussy plants as long as they don't sit in water and you keep your humidity up (50%) in the winter time. The only fertilizer I have used on them are Osmicote.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Sourcing Chinese/Japanese Wisteria
Hi All, I could use some guidance from you experienced...
josiahallen
Petunia 'Cottage Queen'
Has anyone ever sniffed this petunia? I noticed it...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Chloranthus spicatus, pearl orchid, chicken foot
Hi, does anyone have a cutting available of this plant?...
donnagoetz
Blooming in February! We are late!!!
It is almost spring, why hasn't a thread on Blooming...
rubyjchang
Meyermike, you still out there??
Hope you are doing good, I haven't been on the forum...
mersiepoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™