Michaelia alba Pomona CA-

calik8(sunset18)June 27, 2011

I work in Pomona, and there is a school near my office called Western University that has planted a few M. Alba and some Champaca! The Alba is blooming like crazy right now. I just may put mine in the ground since theirs looks so good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calik8(sunset18)

2 of the ALBA's have seed pods. Are they worth it?

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 10:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

Of course, give it a go (I believe the seeds are mature once the pods start to turn brownish). Correct me if I'm wrong, but there could be a possibility for slight genetic variation with the seedlings and they may end up being better or worse in some aspects. They are notoriously difficult to root and are mainly propagated by air-layering or grafting on seedling stock of Michelia champaca.

It is said that there is only one type of Michelia x alba out there that resulted from a hybrid from a very long time ago in Asia. And all Michelia x alba are from vegatative propagation of this origin. But from what I gather, I believe there could be several varations of Michelia x alba that exists out there, mainly in respect to the flower size.

In Thailand there is a very small flowered form called 'Chiu' meaning miniature; it is still unclassified. Whether it is a new species or hybrid or a selection...

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Plumeria stenopetala
So I've been resisting ordering a plant for days now...
Fragrant book reviews!
I was all in love with my latest fragrant book that...
' daphne odora'. Are they hard to keep alive as many say?
If they are not for you, especially in my climate zone...
meyermike_1micha
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™