Hummingbird Summersweet?

lives2grow(z5IN)June 8, 2005

I just bought a shrub labeled hummingbird summersweet. It was an impulse buy because the tag said it was fragrant, attracts hummingbirds, and tolerates deep shade. Does anyone have any experience with this plant?

Carla

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mare2(5bSt.Louis)

Proof that impulse buys really can be the best ones! I've never had 'hummingbird,' which is supposed to be a nice, compact form, but imo any clethra alnifolia is one of the best shrubs for the north. They waft a wonderful, spicy scent at a time of year when not much blooms, have a nice shape, take a variety of conditions including wet soil, and even turn a very attractive yellow in fall. Only thing is I've seen them get unappealingly open in dense shade and doubt they'd bloom as well as they would in a wee bit of sun, but they seem to tolerate almost anything except drought.

Congratulations on a great find!!!

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 12:53PM
jeff_al

mare is correct. i think they called it 'hummingbird' because it is a compact form. i have this one and a couple more and i don't see the hummers on it. it is, however, the real butterfly bush! they, along with wasps and bees, love it(might not want to put it beside your back door *lol*).
it won't flower much at all in deep shade.
the fragrance is very nice.
the fall color on 'hummingbird' is nothing to write home about, at least not in the southeast. you may have better results in a colder climate.
the pink-flowered clethra called 'ruby spice' is a very pretty yellow in the fall.

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 2:27PM
lives2grow(z5IN)

Thanks for the encouraging responses! I suspected flowering might not be as good in dense shade. I have an alternate part shade spot in mind (it's only kinda close to the back door lol) I'm excited about watching a new type of plant grow. I haven't tried a lot of new stuff lately. You have me tempted to go back & buy the other one, ha ha. Guess I'll have to start collecting clethra now. Thanks again. Carla

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 8:23PM
risingpower1(Essex, UK)

Clethras are beautifully scented I think, one which you may want to consider getting also is clethra arborea(almost like lilly of the vally) but it's not as hardy as the others, such as barbinervis.

RP1

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 9:04AM
chopkins(ohio)

it look like the bush is dying

Bookmark   November 4, 2005 at 8:13PM
Dieter2NC(z7b NC)

I have some in my yard, it blooms around mid summer with a wonderful fragrance, and turns a golden color in fall. It was 4' tall when I bought it 4 years ago and it is still 4' tall today.

Bookmark   November 15, 2005 at 12:02PM
marileehejna_hughes_net

I would like to keep this bush on the short side. Can I trim it, and if so when is it the best time to trim

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 1:33PM
stukin

Trim in early spring or after flowering. This will promote a fuller look, stronger branches, and more flowers the following season. To propagate, just take a low branch and pin it firmly to the soil with a heavy stone. Keep the soil moist, and it will send out roots. Leave it attached to the "mother" plant for a year. When roots have formed, cut it free and carefully dig it up. This is best done in early spring.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Sourcing Chinese/Japanese Wisteria
Hi All, I could use some guidance from you experienced...
josiahallen
Clematis Sugar-Sweet Blue
Ugh. Another fragrant clematis to tempt me! Sugar-Sweet...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Petunia 'Cottage Queen'
Has anyone ever sniffed this petunia? I noticed it...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Lonicerasyringantha
This will be this deciduous honeysuckle shrub's 3rd...
hemnancy
Just recieved my michelia alba!
Today I received my michelia alba that I bought from...
Andrew Scott
Sponsored Products
Moonrays Posts Outdoor Solar Powered Color-Changing Clear Acrylic LED
$8.10 | Home Depot
Hummingbird Solar Bubble Garden Stake
$17.99 | zulily
Gold Accent Lamp: 28 in. Hummingbird Antique Golden Sand Lamp TA90014
Home Depot
Hummingbird and Flower Door Mat
Overstock.com
Evergreen Medium Tan Hummingbird Outdoor Pendant
$518.00 | Bellacor