No flowers on my tall geranium

mamster(6b)June 2, 2013

I believe I have a pillar type geranium about 5-6 yrs old but hasn't flowered this season with no buds in site anyone with suggestions as to why? I believe I live in zone 6 of Pa. Thanks much ;-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamster(6b)

As a follow up.. She has just begun to bloom and is beautiful!! I am new to this, can anyone tell me what kind of pillar geranium she is? Thanks

Bookmark   June 14, 2013 at 8:53AM
stolenidentity

Hi mamster,

how lucky that you have that geranium for 5-6 years and that is a beauty for sure!

I think your geranium is a Zonal geranium, they are an annual in my world. I love geraniums, and try to keep them alive in the garage but don't always succeed.

Bookmark   June 15, 2013 at 10:03PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

'Pillar' isn't a specific type of Pelargonium, but a way of describing the taller growing varieties which can be trained up canes. Yours is a zonal Pelargonium but there are literally hundreds, possibly thousands, of named cultivars. They are very easy to increase by cuttings.

Lack of flowers and lush foliage could be due to insufficient light and excess feeding.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 4:54AM
goren

Any time a plant is expected to produce flower buds.....but it doesn't...for some reason.
if the time has been put into it, and it just wont produce budding.....STOP....ALL FERTILIZING. until it does bloom.
Unfortunately we often kill the flowering with kindness.
We water too much; not letting the potted plant dry down some, and we try to feed it into submission.

That can be the reason it wont bloom....too much nitrogen causes the plant to produce nice green foliage....and the plant appreciates it.....it says, keep it up...feed me...and I'll proudce lots of leaves......but don't expect me to produce flowers...you have given me too much nitrogen.

So when next time a plant that should flower....doesn't...stop all feeding until it does bloom.
Then feed according to its needs.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
are geraniums annuals or perennials in 8a, Dallas area
I love geraniums and am just wondering if they are...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Hardy Geraniums older thread.....
any additions of your favorites to this older thread: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1632443/hardy-geraniums-revisited...
Patty57
Best way to care for this geranium?
Hi All, I have this geranium my girlfriend got somewhere...
sergtheuke
Zonal geranium cuttings
I've been gardening for many years. Every fall I bring...
dowlinggram
Where to find a Red 'Black Vesuvius' dwarf Geranium?
I am interested in obtaining a Red 'Black Vesuvius'...
partybra
Sponsored Products
Hilton Wine Bar
Grandin Road
Clear Venetian-Style Glass Lamp
$350.00 | Horchow
Genova Linear Suspension by Quoizel
$499.99 | Lumens
Fire Flower Throw Blanket
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Windster RA-2390 Series Range Hood Extension Duct Cover - RA-2390EXTDC
$148.00 | Hayneedle