emerald mound honeysuckle-fragrant?

lives2grow(z5IN)June 24, 2006

I just purchased an emerald mound honeysuckle plant for my mother. She wanted a small, shrub type honeysuckle that was fragrant. We had torn out an unruly vining type. The sign by this emerald mound plant said "very fragrant", but all of the articles I could find online say this variety is not fragrant. I bought it from a nursery, not a super store parking lot, so I'm hoping I can trust them. Has anyone planted an emerald mound that was fragrant? This one had already bloomed, it has pretty red berries. (One of my internet sources also said this variety does not fruit, several others said it does.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ankraras(8/9AZ)

Since I am not familiar with this one I did some research and did find a reference on a site indicating that the flowers are fragrant.
When it blooms again please let us know confirming if our suspicions are true or not.

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 1:14AM
lives2grow(z5IN)

Thanks for the response. It's amazing how many different descriptions you can find for a single named cultivar. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed & hope for fragrant blooms next year. I bought her a mock orange also. It still had one bloom left, so at least we know it will smell good! Carla

Bookmark   June 27, 2006 at 8:10PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Often the fragrant honeysuckles (outside of ones like L. japonica that grows wild) will reveal themselves as fragrant early in the morning or late in the afternoon, so if yours does a little rebloom later this season, check at those times.

Bookmark   June 29, 2006 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
Jasmine 'Grand Duke of Tuscany Supreme'.
I cannot honestly remember if it is just GDT or the...
andrew78
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
I'm looking for Aglaia odorata or Chloranthus spicatus.
Hi, I live in Poland and I'm looking for Aglaia odorata...
8hydroxyquinoline
Doesn't look like MOO to me
Since it's a snowy weekend and I'm stuck inside I've...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™