force flowering jasmine sambac?

utsharpie(33014)June 16, 2005

i was wondering if it was possible to force flower jasmine sambac if you grow it indoors under lights? could you keep it flowering year round? cif the flower time was something like blooms for a month than nothing until another 3 monts? or could i always have blooms within in a week?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CoolPlants

I haven't heard of it being tried-let us know! They want to flower in the summer=long day hours + heat. It helps to use a low nitrogen fertilizer along with higher phosph and potash. I prefer 2-10-10 bloom special. I use this and within 1 week, I've got 30 flowers in one night here in Florida (3 gal pots).
kevin

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 11:53AM
Darael(So Cal z9)

Perhaps, but I wouldn't just use plain ol' lights, try and find full spectrum lighting.

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 9:40PM
utsharpie(33014)

im using 400 watt metal halide lightsand i have 4 of them. each covers an area of 8 to 10 square feet. what are some other fragrant plants that are "everbloomers"

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 12:00AM
Jasmine_Lover

Hey Jasmine sambac (MAid of orleans) is a very easy plant to grow, Although like many plants dont like living in the house. During the winter mine looks like its dead but as soon as i bring it outside it all comes back. Jasmine like many plats only bloom off of new growth so i woiuld try clipping back some old shoots forceing new ones to appear

Bookmark   June 30, 2005 at 11:39AM
birdsnblooms

My Maid of Orleans (3) bloom yr round. I feed from Mar-Sept, then once days shorten, withhold food..Aside from light they like humidity. They're misted daily, and hosed in sink once a wk. They're planted in well-draining soil, all purpose, peat and sand. I wouldn't cut back, you may remove a flower stem...Toni

Bookmark   July 1, 2005 at 12:38AM
tommyr_gw

I really love jamine, I have 3 sambacs and the flowers are so fragrant it's incredible. Mine have bloomed numerous times over the past few months I've had them. Mine are in a west window and get afternoon sun. I trim a branch here and there every now and then when needed. Piece of cake to grow!

Tom

Bookmark   July 3, 2005 at 5:48AM
More Discussions
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
chloranthus spicatus
I gave a cutting of chloranthus spicatus to a friend...
donnagoetz
Chimonanthus Praecox Wintersweet in Zone 6?
The Chinese Winterswwet (Chimonanthus Praecox) is listed...
redsun9
Plumeria stenopetala
So I've been resisting ordering a plant for days now...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
War on Gardenia's mealy bugs
A few months ago, we took home a beautifully flowering...
daniel_cl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™