Help with Spring fertilizing - organic style

bagsmom(7)March 26, 2010

This is the time of year when I normally run around with my bag of 15 - 15 - 15 and feed everyone.

I am assuming that this is the stuff that will NOT help Mother Nature make gorgeous soil -- it's pretty intense and caustic.

What should I be using instead? Should I go around and water with fish emulsion? Should I buy a bag of worm castings and make gallons of Poo Tea?

I've been going like gangbusters on my yard -- reconfiguring the grass line, moving shrubs, working on the slope.... I'm mad now because I sort of hurt my knee jumping on the shovel too much. Guess I have to take a break!

Thanks, guys!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

It is really your choice. I fertilize veggies by amending the soil with a variety of fertilizers before planting. A month after planting I use fish emulsion.
Home compost is wonderful for a spring tonic. And you can take a sock full, let it sit in a bucket for a week and drench the soil to get your worms a moving and groovin'!

For perennials, I just use composted anything. I don't fertilize much of anything else except to add some compost. Roses, brugmansia and daylilies and any other piggies get some alfalfa but I'm pretty lean on the rest of the stuff. They do just fine too.

GGG

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Baptisia arachnifera (wild indigo, hairy false indigo)
I understand this is a native Georgia plant. I have...
Evenshade 8a
Antsy to start my garden in 7a!
Hi y'all.... Is anyone else itching to get things in...
Callie
Camellia sinensis
"Camellia Sinensis" Tolerates more sun than...
girlgroupgirl
Rabbit problem
What is the best Rabbit repellent ?
420benz
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
Sponsored Products
Halo Recessed Lighting 4 in. Satin Nickel Recessed Adjustable Eyeball Trim 998SN
$26.94 | Home Depot
Vitra by Nameeks Form Bidet - VITRA 4307-003-0288
$350.00 | Hayneedle
Square Graphic Flatweave Rug 5'3" x 7'7" - BLACK
$179.00 | Horchow
Green & Blue Medallion Artwork Duvet Set
$99.99 | zulily
Criss Coffee Table in Silver Clear
$350.00 | LexMod
Roman Leopard Rug 4' Round - BROWN
$279.00 | Horchow
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Home Dynamix Rugs Paisley Red 1 ft. 9 in. x 7 ft. 2 in.
$19.97 | Home Depot
Electri-Chef Island 32 in. Build-In Electric Grill - Dual Burner Multicolor - 44
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™