rozanne color change

sweetpea_4(z4 SD)June 20, 2009

My 3 year old Rozanne is just now beginning to bloom and her blooms are pale pink this year and look exactly like the blooms of geranium macrorrhizum. Has anyone ever had that happen to them? I am very sad to have this happen to my beautiful purple/blue Rozanne.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oilpainter(3)

Did something happen to change the PH of the soil. Like hydrangas other plants will change color if the soil PH is changed.

Did you amend the soil with anything. Peat moss will make the soil acidic. Check back and remember what you put in. You can make it more acidic by adding acidic fertilizer and less by working in agricultural lime in the soil around
the plants. Be careful not to get the lime on the plants or roots because it will burn

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 3:29PM
coolplantsguy(z6 Ontario)

Did you spray any herbicides nearby?

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 6:38PM
pellie_grower(z8 UK)

too hot maybe?

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 5:37PM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I find that 'Rozanne' flowers vary in appearance from day to day and from morning to evening. Sometimes they look very pink, but usually they are on the blue-r side. Maybe temperature and humidity affect the color as well.

Bookmark   August 19, 2009 at 5:49PM
pitimpinai(z6 Chicago)

When it's hot, my 'Rozanne' is pinkish purple.
It turns almost indigo blue when the weather turns cooler in the fall. I find that quite interesting.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 4:48PM
gardengal48

Bigleaf hydrangea is the only plant that responds to soil pH by changing flower color. Color variation in the flowers of other plants is due to exposure (sun/shade), climate conditions and the age of the flower. There IS a color variation in the flowers of 'Rozanne' depending on the existing climate conditions and time of the season - cooler temperatures seem to encourage the blue tones and hot, sunny weather bleaches the flowers out to a more purply-pink color.

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
my geranium fell from a ceiling hook
I'm hoping I can get some advice on my geranium. A...
msunn1973
Scented Geranium with Cactus Mix?
So I've seen a few places recommending adding sand...
garden.bum
Citaniila geraniums
im in need of some happy colored geraniums.. id like...
sewnmom7
Parks Maverick Mix Seeds - Good for starting from seed?
I have never grown geraniums from seed. My first choice...
pagenie1
Geranium cutting- how long before they flower?
Hiyas, I took some geranium cuttings (zonal) about...
Novice.123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™